Manual Gear Oil

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by sunvalleylaw, Jan 11, 2015.

1. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI GLS
    Mods:
    working on Manual 5 speed conversion with DUK gearbox, plan to do BSM delete, and tune.
    Any input? Seller is completing a manual gear tranny swap on the '05 Passat GLS TDI, using a DUK euro gearbox that will get here from over the pond tomorrow. I live in the mountains of Idaho and it does get cold for a few months in winter. I was thinking of just sticking with OEM VW synthetic, and I read that the current code is now 070xxxx rather than 052xxxx or 060xxxx. But it is confusing to me. Any input?

login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    AD shows 75W/80 Synthetic 2.3 litres, 01E/0A1 gearboxes 2.4 litres, 4x4 2.5 litres.

ETKA shows a few oils for 5 speed manual, transmission fluid - G005 000 - 1 ltr £14.96
    transmission fluid (see workshop manual) - G052 911 A1 - 0.5 ltr £12.82
    G052 911 A2 - 1.0 ltr £20.82

3. sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI GLS
    Mods:
    working on Manual 5 speed conversion with DUK gearbox, plan to do BSM delete, and tune.
    We are short on time and synchromesh seems to get good reports. May just try that.

4. Octavian Diaconu

Octavian Diaconu New Member

Car:
    Vw Polo 2006 1.4 TDI 59kW 1422cc BNV
    Hi guys,

I actually read most of this thread. I either missed it, or the info was not clearly stated. I have a 2006 Polo TDI BNV JCZ transmission. In 2007-2008, the car had a service action (as they call it), and they replaced the gear oil. Part number used: G052512S0. As I found out, this is an internal part number. We can buy it as G052512A2. At around 100k km, I bought gear oil from the dealer - part number G070726A2. At around 200k km - same part number. I didn't pay any attention to the part number. I thought they will sell me what the car uses...
    What do you think I should buy now: G052512A2 or G070726A2. Does anyone know for sure the difference between the two?
    I'm thinking about this because I have 2 different noises from the gearbox:
    1. something like "hhhhh" when under 0C, at first start in the morning. it stops when the clutch is completely disengaged (everything in the gearbox stops). if it's only half, sound is still there. after 5-10 min of driving, the sound goes away. If over 10C, sound is not present.
    2. after wellwarmed up gear box, when over 20C in the air, just before the car comes to a complete stop, so 1-2 km/h, it makes a knocking sound but not continuously - it's like the sound can be heard every 45 degrees of the wheel. car can stop and the noise may or may be not present ( depends on where the wheel or driveshaft stops). if the noise is present, it goes away if trying to engage 3rd or 4th gear without pressing the clutch, or if turning the steering wheel !! it also goes away gradually if pressing the clutch. if the car stops and the noise is not present, I can be heard if turning the steering wheel.
    if there was a gearbox issue, why is it affected by the turning of the steering wheel?
    the car has no abnormal noises when driven: hard accelerating, hard decelerating, turning hard uphill, breaking hard downhill and turning.
    someone gave me the idea of checking the tapered coned bronze ring from the flanged output shaft that comes out of the diff, and when doing so, I will put fresh gearoil in. now, what should I use G052512A2 (the service action oil) or the G070726A2 (the oil that the dealer would sell me now according the VIN) ?

Thanks!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    synchromesh to me feels like water.. imo not thick enough for a vw tranny...

ill have to check in with my friend on the use of amsoil.. many years ago i put some in my car.. and it was cold cold winter snow out (like -15f)... id been living and driving the "pos" winter car for a few winters from this address.. the next morning.. i completly ran the stop sign at teh end of the road as i was used to press in on clutch car stops moving due to gear oil honey/molassis... not any more... LOL.. by the time i completly blew it it was more of a how far will it roll test

i tried all the others at the time (20 years ago oils were not what they sell now and never redid this test with the stuff of current date) in 2nd car dumbfounded by the running of stop sign.. none of them did what amsoil did.. but its got to be the most costly and hardest to obtain oil.. i put some in a car this past fall for the owner to test out rolling resistance on cold winter mornings.. like 1st/2nd stops of the day before it can get warm... i no longer have a stop close nuff to test this... im talking under 1/2 mile from start and go.. no running/block heater as that would warm the gear oil up.. the idea to me is.. less resistance cold can only help with mpg in winter time... my friend has multi cars.. with different oils in them now.. why i need to check in on his findings..

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  6. Octavian Diaconu

Octavian Diaconu New Member

Car:
    Vw Polo 2006 1.4 TDI 59kW 1422cc BNV
    just put in G052512A2. Obvious smoother shifting (25 Celsius outside) cold and warm. I expect the lever to move like through honey in the winter for the first 10-15 min but I won't mind.
    When I took out the filling plug (car leveled), about 100-150 ml of oil bursted out, so that confirmed my "suspicion" that I did overfill the gearbox, which is good [​IMG].
    When refilling, I tilted the car for about 10-15 degrees, and it took about 1.8 - 1.9L of oil before starting to overflow. Then I put the filling plug back in quickly so I guess I overfilled it also this time.

difference between G052512A2 and G070726A2: G052 seems to have a bit darker colour. At room temp, to the naked eye they seem to have the same viscosity.