Lugging, smoking, and knocking

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Giggitty_giggitty, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Giggitty_giggitty

Giggitty_giggitty New Member

Car:
    VW, Jetta, 2006 TDI
    Howdy guys.

So I have been trying to diagnose this problem for a few years now with no luck. I'm out of ideas.

Here's the back story. 06 jetta tdi with a salvaged title. It was in a pretty serious front end collision before I bought it and was put back together as cheaply and shitedly as possible. Within 500 miles of me driving it off the lot the JB Weld and bubble gum started breaking loose.

So the current issue is this:

Starting off in first gear I need to hit the accelerator and get it up to about 2000 rpm's before I begin to let out the clutch. If I don't and just let the clutch out (car idles at 800 rpm) while giving it gas it will act as if the engine is lugging, then almost like it is flooded. If I keep trying to accelerate the engine will begin knocking. It will slowly build up enough speed and rpm's to get past this and then let out a glorious black cloud of smoke.

Again if I goose it up to 2000 rpm's before letting out the clutch it is fine most of the time.

This will also happen in second gear if the rpm's drop below 2000 rpm's.

FIXES attempted:
    I did have a check engine light on for awhile since this has been an issue. Glow plug #4 and a MAF sensor. I cleaned out the MAF sensor and replaced the broken glow plug harness and the check engine light is now gone. The problem is still there.

Another interesting fact is that the problem is even worse the warmer the weather is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Post the error codes found?

3. Giggitty_giggitty

Giggitty_giggitty New Member

Car:
    VW, Jetta, 2006 TDI
    At this time there are none. No Check engine light and my little code reader says nothing. Those went away after cleaning the MAF Sensor and replacing the glow plug harness.

4. ncsteinb

ncsteinb New Member

Car:
    2006 BRM Jetta Manual, 2002 ALH Jetta Manual, 1997 318ti w/turbo 6cyl (M50) swap
    Mods:
    Koni Yellow adjustable dampers, H&R Sport Springs, ECS Tuning Dogbone insert, ECS Single Mass Flywheel (both), EGR delete (both), Malone tune (both), BMW-> All of the mods!
    Step 1) Get a hold of VCDS and run some diagnostics. Check for stored codes, double check the torsion value (cam timing) should be between 0.0 and 1.5, and run a charge pressure control test. This should indicate if there is a problem with the turbo boost control. Also, check the Injection Quantity and Injector Trims. This will indicate if you have a misbehaving injector. Fix anything where there is an engine related code in VCDS.

Step 2) Check the turbo vane actuator position. It should reach the setscrew stop at 18 - 20 inHg. If it's not, then make that adjustment.

Step 3) If the actuator adjustment checks out good, or if you adjust it and doesn't fix the issue, adjust the setscrew position. Most likely (I believe) the setscrew would be too far advanced. Try backing it out about a 1/2 turn.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Cheers!

5. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    @ncsteinb , 1.5 on the torsion value? I read elsewhere 1.0, just curious where the 1.5 came from. Mine is at .98 and I am having some minor performance issues so I was just curious.