Leon Turbo problems

Discussion in 'SEAT and Škoda TDI' started by Tombobillabongo, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Tombobillabongo

Tombobillabongo New Member

Car:
    Seat leon fr mk1 2006
    Hi,
    Thanks for your help in advance!

I'm getting some noises from my turbo on my pd150 ARL engine with standard garret turbo... I can hear the siren like noise but also a bit of a metallic version of the normal boosting sound. I'm guessing worn bearing and new turbo needed? Anyone have an idea of what's gone wrong here? I've attached this film - sorry about the boring visuals - this is just stationary revving:

I have recently taken the turbo off, taken it apart and cleaned the VNT mechanism because the vanes were sticking (got an over boosting fault code) . It's boosting ok now but sounds like this.
    When it was apart I noticed about half a millimetre of play in the compressor wheel. I also added a forge red turbo pipe - could this be changing the sound?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    you know those are very sensitive to any weight changes right?? if you have ever seen a pro balance a turbo... you would never try taking one apart...

3. Tombobillabongo

Tombobillabongo New Member

Car:
    Seat leon fr mk1 2006
  4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    again... if you have ever seen the work a pro goes thru to balance one... you would never attempt it.. as there is no way you can do this with out proper equipment... that thing buzzes along at many rpm...

5. EKAN

EKAN New Member

Car:
    Passat 1,9 tdi 1999
    You don't have to balance the turbo if you just clean the vanes.

But I agree that you should know what you are doing when you work with a turbo.