L.E.D. Cabin upgrade

Discussion in 'Mk7 VW Golf, Sportwagen and Audi A3 TDI forums' started by Clarke, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Clarke

Clarke New Member

Car:
    2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S
    I have a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S. I purchased from VW Parts the Cabin upgrade package " Philips" 194 LED's to upgrade and make brighter my interior. The issue is I stopped upgrading after I installed the rear truck LED; this was the only and first one I installed. I noticed that there was "ghosting" even after the car and all lights and rear hatch and all door were shut. To be over the top in verifying this I woke up in the middle of the night when it was pitch black in my garage and sure enough there was the new LED luminated about 25 %. I put a meter on it and with everything off and all doors closed I get a reading of about 6 volts from the plug. I reinstall the incandescent bulb and everything is fine. Reinstall the L.E.D. and same issues. I thought about putting a resistor inline but rather not do this; preferring to see if there is an L.E.D. bulb out there that fixes this ghosting problem. Anyone that has had this issue please advise and submit model and website of where to purchase; keeping in mind I prefer quality over price point. I believe the trickle voltage is there for a reason and not a default of the switch or I could be wrong. Thank you in advance.

login to remove this ad
  2. Clarke

Clarke New Member

Car:
    you are a professional. Thank you. I was just going to buy new LED with resistors built in but my wife wasn't to happy with me wasting $70.00. She thanks you.

3. Clarke

Clarke New Member

Car:
    Thanks for the extra knowledge...I will when I get them done will take pictures and share to help out others that may bump into this issue. Give me a couple weeks maybe its on the back burner for now.

4. Clarke

Clarke New Member

Car:
    So here is the fix I did on the rear hatch cabin light from incandescent to L.E.D. to which by the bulb itself I was getting ghosting all the way down to about 6 down to 4 volts on the bench at work. Thanks to the guys above in this post my ghost LED has been fixed. Instead of putting the resistor ( 1K at 1/4 watt like was suggested;which is what is soldered on) attached to the wire I soldered it to the socket metal leads instead. The hard part was trying to have the tip hot enough so the solder would adhere and try not to melt the plastic; to which after I did it I noticed I could have taken the whole assembly apart and not worry about too much heat flow. The first pass of solder went on pretty good. The crown I created was just for a security cap thats why it looks bumpy. After it was done I put the 12 volts back on it and slowing decreased the voltage and about 5.5 to 6 volts the L.E.D. turned off completely. Plugged it back into my TDI and no more ghosting. Thanks guys. Now to finish the rest of the cabin L.E.D.'s.

Attached Files: