Jetta TDI Engine Block heater Recall

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Donster 125, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Donster 125

Donster 125 Member

Car:
    Jetta 2014 TDI H/L
    Mods:
    None
    Hey everyone,

I am new still to the forums, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I looked around but didn't find anything.

Just want to give the heads up that there has been a part recall on certain 2013 and 2014 Jetta TDIs with the engine block heater. Apparently using the heater could cause a short circuit and cause a fire. Just wanted to update everyone else to the matter.

Hope that helps!

- VW Recall Notice.jpeg

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks for the notice, I will add this to the buying guide. This really only applies to Canadian cars since this was not equipped from the factory on US cars. I'm not sure how they will fix it, probably with a newer engine block heater design. Please let us know what they do.

3. Donster 125

Donster 125 Member

Car:
    Jetta 2014 TDI H/L
    Mods:
    None
    Will do! I actually haven't used mine yet, though I probably should have with the weather we've been having here! I just haven't had a change to buy an "all-weather" extension cord. Luckily for me, I guess, it's a good thing I haven't had the time.

I'll keep you all updated.

Thankfully, it's not a serious issue; just don't use the engine block heater. I can still use my car as normal in the interim.

4. MT_Golf

MT_Golf Member

Car:
    Honda Accord
    welcometomyturbodies

You may want to change the title of your post, if it's possible. It says "engine block recall", quite a bit different from "engine block heater recall".

5. Donster 125

Donster 125 Member

Car:
    Jetta 2014 TDI H/L
    Mods:
    None
    how do i make that change? could one of the mods do it?

6. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I already made the change.

I also just tweaked the permission settings. Premium users can edit their thread titles. It's kind of hidden. Go to "Thread tools" on the upper right hand side and it's in the drop down menu. I just took a screenshot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  7. Donster 125

Donster 125 Member

Car:
    Jetta 2014 TDI H/L
    Mods:
    None
    Much appreciated! Thank you!

8. Donster 125

Donster 125 Member

Car:
    Jetta 2014 TDI H/L
    Mods:
    None
    Just wanted to update you all as to the status of the recall. Got this in the mail today:
    VW Recall Notice 2.jpeg

9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    So they'll put a child safety plug on the plug so you can't use it...?

10. Donster 125

Donster 125 Member

Car:
    Jetta 2014 TDI H/L
    Mods:
    None
    it appears as such, for at least the interim. I guess they're still deciding how to do a more permanent fix for it, such as replacing the engine block heating device. ill update again once i find out more information.

11. Corners

Corners New Member

Car:
    2013 Golf TDI
    Does anybody know if this is Jetta only or if it applies to 13 and 14 Golf and Sportwagen too? I did phone my dealer and they knew it was coming down the pipe but he didn't know much else yet (a month ago). I haven't heard anything about my 13 Golf TDI at all...it was built Dec. 2012.

12. 993er

993er Member

Car:
    2013 VW Jetta TDI 6 Speed
    Mods:
    I keep my vehicles stock and bling-free.
    Key word being "certain" 2013 and 2014 Jetta TDIs.

I just called my local VW service department and there is no recall on my VIN which is why I did not get a recall notice.

I wonder what the actual issue is?

13. Donster 125

Donster 125 Member

Car:
    Jetta 2014 TDI H/L
    Mods:
    None
    Just a quick update. Just had the engine block fixed today. I asked yesterday and they hadn't heard anything. Today I went in to have my winter tires put on and they just had the fix sent down from VW HQ. I don't know what the nature of the fix was, but needless to say, it is supposedly working fine now.

14. canders

canders New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2013 TDI 6 Speed Manual
    Sorry about bumping an old thread but I have a question about how to find out information regarding this exact thing. I just bought my 2013 Jetta TDI 2.0L 6sp manual, secondhand beginning of March this year.

:p:) I LOVE THIS CAR :D:rolleyes:

Anyways... how do I find out if this was actually done, just take to any vw dealership and they can check it out? Or would record of it be in the VW "cloud" and I could call head office?

Thanks, sorry again about bumping an old thread.

15. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    There is supposed to be a sticker under the hood on the plastic part over the radiator. Just look for the recall number that's on your letter.

Also, you didn't ask for the car's maintenance history before buying it?

16. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    ROTFLMAO. My pal bought a 68K mile used 2009 Certified pre owned Jetta gasser from a dealer and on the pre delivery inspection form the box for "all scheduled maintenance" had been performed was checked.

I asked to see a report of the maintenance history and the only thing they came up with was according to the owners manual, one OC had been done. I asked them how could the check box have been checked if there was zero history of service except for the one oil change.

They made an excuse up on spot and stated that VW certified mechanics were completely honest and would never falsify an important document and they also stated that dealers don't have access to service performed by other dealers.
    :BS

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  17. canders

canders New Member

Car:
    Cool thanks. I actually bought from the vw dealer that originally sold the car (once the warranty was up the owner traded it in for a tiguan) and all services were preformed at the dealer AND my warranty manual is full of nice little stamps (up until I bought it, go diy) I'm inclined to agree with Ol'Rattler though ;)

18. canders

canders New Member

Car:
    Also, no sticker under the hood but was at vw having lock nuts removed And asked the service guy there to check. He flipped open the plug cover and said o was all good cause if it wasn't good there would be, and I quote "blue stuff preventing me from using it"... not exactly sure about that.

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.