Jetta 2006 TDI 1.9 rear main seal replacement

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by judel, Mar 17, 2017.

1. judel

judel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006
    Hi guys, I want to replace the rear main seal of my car without a tool because I don't have a lot of money to buy the expensive tool. If someone have another way to put the seal, please any help is good for me. The other thing is the position of the cam, how i know if the cam is in the correct position to put the seal because the sensor.

Attached Files:

login to remove this ad
  2. John Mack

John Mack New Member

Car:
    2005.5 JETTA TDI /2015 JETTA TDI
    Just did my rear main seal. Other posters have done it without the $200 tool. You will need the crankshaft TDC tool that is used when replacing the timing belt. The crank must be at TDC before installing the new seal. I suggest puting it at TDC before removal of old seal. When removing the old seal, note that the hole in the sensor ring is straight up and held there by the orange plastic piece,which will be discarded after is seal is installed. The new sensor ring must be positioned aprox .020 inches (.5 mm) below the surface of the crankshaft that the DMF mates to (feeler gauges or calipers required). Be sure that the black plastic guide ring is in place before new seal is installed or you will damage the leading lip of the seal. The black plactic ring will push itself out as you install the new seal. The new seal must sit for 4 hours before use. It is a silicone seal and it must be allowed to shrink back to contact the crankshaft before running the engine. If your DMF has been making noise, now would be a good time to replace it since it will be removed to get to the seal. You have a big job ahead, plan on at least a day or more (probably more) to complete this task. There is thread on MYTURBODIESEL.COM that goes into full detail on this task.

3. judel

judel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006
    Thanks....I have to remove the crank can?

4. judel

judel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006
    I mean the cover?

5. judel

judel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006
    The thing is ..I remove the old one without the TDC and now I don't know haw to put on TDC. Any help?

6. John Mack

John Mack New Member

Car:
    2005.5 JETTA TDI /2015 JETTA TDI
    If you dont have the alignment tools and want to play it fast and loose, make a mark on the engine block that is adjacent to the hole on the sensor ring that is already installed. Be very careful to not move the crankshaft . Line up the hole on the new sensor ring exactly with the mark that you made before you removed the old ring and seal. Be advised that if you do not get the alignment correct, the engine will run poorly or not at all and then you will have to start all over, but will have to get the alignment tools to ensure TDC. I don't know how good of a mechanic you are, but be careful, it is a lot of work to remove and install the transmission.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

7. judel

judel New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006
    Hi, anyone who installed the rear main seal without the tool T10134? Any recomendation is good for me.