Introduction and cylinder head gasket repair

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by JGolf, Dec 6, 2017.

1. JGolf

JGolf New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2005 BEW
    Hello, JGolf here. I am a newcomer to the forum. My vehicle is a 2005 Golf 1.9 BEW automatic, newly purchased, 192000 miles. Previously owned a 2009 Jetta TDI. Live in Greenville NC.

I apologize for the length of my post. I loved my last TDI and want this one to be as reliable as my Jetta was.

My history with the Golf has been trying to say the least. When I bought the Golf from a local private party the timing chain, water pump, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter had all been newly installed with no engine light on and a clean report on the VCDS. Within 200 miles of in town driving there was sudden extreme smoking with loss of power, the oil dipstick showed extreme overfilling and there was diesel in the oil. Towed it home, replaced the Tandem pump, oil and oil filter and MAF sensor and it was running again for a few days.
    The Golf stopped suddenly at an intersection and would not restart, cranked over but would not catch. Towed the car home again. No sound from the lift pump when the key was turned so replaced the lift pump and it was running again. There was dark sooty looking diesel at first as I drained the diesel from the tank through the supply line by pressurizing the return line to the tank at the fuel filter. The engine started right off with no excess smoking and was running well.

I began to hear a medium pitch whirring sound as I was driving the car that was not apparent on revving the engine. Sounded like maybe a vacuum leak/ gear whine sound. The car was accelerating well, easy to start and was preparing to purchase a VCDS to check out the car and clear the error codes. On a short drive in town there was a sudden burst of white smoke out of the car with rapid loss of power. Pulled off the road, opened the hood, checked the engine and the oil dipstick had blown oil over the front of the engine. Towed the car home again, now on first name basis with tow driver.

On inspection at home there was an oil level just above the bottom mark, no visible oil in the coolant, the oil filler cap was clean oil with no milky substance, the oil cap when loosened on the valve cover would dance about so it seemed there was excess pressure in the head. Boost pressure leak with a homemade tester ( as outlined in this GREAT forum) indicated there was no major leak; Turbo Actuator was functional; N75 valve was bad and replaced; no visible oil leak at rear of engine. I filled car with a little more engine oil to mid fill level and restarted the engine. Immediately there was white smoke coming from the engine compartment, however the engine would start easily and run roughly at idle. I stopped the engine and checked the oil dipstick and oil fill cap. This time there was a little bit of coolant mixing with the oil showing. There also was a small bit of sooty looking drops in the bottom of the coolant reservoir.

At present I am preparing to replace the head gasket and check the head, valves, etc. My questions are: Am I correct in assessing this as a blown head gasket? is there any additional mechanical maintenance I should consider while performing this? What could have happened to cause the head gasket failure? The engine did not overheat or show signs of stress before this. I have read the excellent DIY sections on the head gasket repair.
    Could the head gasket have suddenly failed without warning? I am unsure of the history of the vehicle before I bought it from the private party.

Thank you for your help!

2. Dave N

Dave N Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI BEW 09A
    Sure sounds like a blown head gasket. By timing chain I assume you meant timing belt? Do you know if the work was done by a reputable shop? The reason I ask is if the person doing the timing belt did anything with the camshaft (the stock cams have a known issue with worn lobes) it is easy to mistake the head bolts for the cam bearing cap bolts. If the person/shop doing the work did that without replacing the head gasket and bolts (they are all one time use torque to yield) it would've been just a matter of time before the head gasket let go.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    JGolf likes this.
  3. JGolf

JGolf New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2005 BEW
    Hey Dave, yes it was the belt (my error). Thanks for the insight on the potential cause for the failure. The prior owner did his own work and did not say whether he had done any camshaft work.
    On opening the valve cover and looking the cam lobes have lost the chamfer on the peak of the lobe and show some copper streaking. After I get the cam off I will inspect the rest of the camshaft assembly. What is the current opinion on what camshaft to use for a replacement?

4. Dave N

Dave N Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI BEW 09A
  5. Dave N

Dave N Member

Car:
    06 Golf TDI BEW 09A