Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor P2015

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by 2009TDI, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Nledo

Nledo New Member

Car:
    Audi Q5 2.0 Tfsi quattro 2009
    login to remove this ad
  2. Mike Mc

Mike Mc New Member

Car:
    2010 VW TDI
    Thanks DieselGeek. You product worked perfectly. Installed, cleared codes and it started working perfectly again.

Random Pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/83a11at6avxxiqs/AAAUJ2dl1kDY1lmQKyFRcOjta?dl=0

I was getting this:
    3 Faults Found:
    008214 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)
    P2016 - 000 - Short to Ground - MIL ON
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 11100000
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 2
    Reset counter: 255
    Mileage: 135701 km
    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 0 /min
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Voltage: 12.16 V
    Lambda: -3.9 %
    Lambda: 7.1 %
    Bin. Bits: 00000000
    Voltage: 0.228 V

008200 - Intake Manifold Flap; Bank 1
    P2008 - 000 - Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent - MIL ON
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 10100000
    Fault Frequency: 255
    Mileage: 141596 km
    Date: 2014.07.23
    Time: 16:35:47

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 2139 /min
    Speed: 56.0 km/h
    Load: 54.9 %
    Load: 94.9 %
    Lambda: 99.4 %
    Mass Air / Rev.: 720.0 mg/str
    Temperature: 90.0*C

008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)
    P2015 - 000 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00100000
    Fault Frequency: 254
    Mileage: 158332 km
    Date: 2015.02.11
    Time: 20:00:54

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 828 /min
    Speed: 1.0 km/h
    Voltage: 13.83 V
    Lambda: -3.9 %
    Lambda: 7.1 %
    Bin. Bits: 00000000
    Voltage: 0.228 V

Readiness: 1 2 0 0 1

3. Edawg2512

Edawg2512 New Member

Car:
    2009 VW Jetta TDI
    I have the same issue on my 2009 Jetta, I have 220,000 miles on it, so I'm looking for a cheap fix, i plan on ordering the dieselgeek part, but my motor seems not to move at all, and tried to move it manually, I was thinking that it is set too far back, and just doesnt have the leverage to get back forward......I do not have VCDS, is there a way to test the motor? I have found the actuator motor on ebay, but not sure if it is the correct one, even though it looks the same. In most of these cases, it seems that the motor is fine, but just wandering

4. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Site Sponsor

Car:
    2016 Golf TDI 6MT
    I would go get it scanned at AutoZone or the like. There is likely a P2015 and P2016 code and our repair bracket will fix it. I have not seen a single instance of a bad V157 actuator motor so far.

Thanks,
    Jim
    www.dieselgeek.com

5. Edawg2512

Edawg2512 New Member

Car:
    2009 VW Jetta TDI
    Thanks dieselgeek......I have had the code read, and it is a P2015........thanks alot for the info, I'll be ordering tomorrow.

6. GroovyOne

GroovyOne New Member

Car:
    2009 VW Jetta SW TDI
    I registered just so that I could say THANKS!! to dieselgeek for making this part. I have been ignoring my P2015 and read just about everything I could find and had stopped looking for a while. Today, thanks to a review of the 2015 Gold SportWagen TDI, I was reminded to look. Found and ordered your part and am very excited to get it in and install it!

Any pointers for resetting the CEL? I can erase it with my code reader and have found that I can keep it off for one drive cycle as it is now, but do I have to do anything specific to wipe it for good once the part is installed?

Thanks again!!

chittychittybangbang likes this.
  7. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Site Sponsor

Car:
    2016 Golf TDI 6MT
    If the bracket is installed correctly, the check engine light goes out almost immediately on it's own in most cases. Sometimes it takes a couple days. If the light doesn't go out then you might have an unrelated code stored or the bracket has not been installed quite right. The bracket has been tweaked a few times since we started making them and every bracket sold from mid January onward is almost impossible to install wrong.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jim
    www.dieselgeek.com

GroovyOne likes this.
  8. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Site Sponsor

Car:
    2016 Golf TDI 6MT
    Here is the latest P2015 fix install video:

Here is a third party review by the Humble Mechanic:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    GroovyOne likes this.
  9. Edawg2512

Edawg2512 New Member

Car:
    2009 VW Jetta TDI
    Got my repair kit from diesel geek today, installed it in about 15 min, but have to sati was a little worried it would do the job, I didn't notice that the linkage arm moved forward much....I did scan after I installed it, using a scanner from autozone, had a p2015 and a p2008, which I never had the p2008 before, but I cleared the codes and they have not come back on, I have to say, this part so far is a must to fix this code, and even to prevent it, we all know those MIL get annoying on the dash driving at night, huge thanks to dieselgeek

GroovyOne likes this.
  10. GroovyOne

GroovyOne New Member

Car:
    2009 VW Jetta SW TDI
    Add mine to the list of effective repairs! Under 10 minutes to do the install, and it only took that long because I was using one of those cheap T30 driver bits from some kit in a 1/4 socket. Very very nice and now I can see how far mine was over driving.

Before and after:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. dies

dies New Member

Car:
    VW sportswagen TDI 2010
    I chatted with VW today. The intake manifold is covered under the Powertrain warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles. I will have the P2015 error fixed by the dealer before installing the Dieselgeek part.

Went to the dealer. Dealer tried to weasel out of covering it under warranty. I showed them the print out of the chat with VW of America. He went away and then came back and said they were going to cover it.

Had the work done under warranty by the stealer and all is good!! Yeahhh!! Thank you VW of America!!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  12. BigBadSubaru

BigBadSubaru New Member

Car:
    10 Jetta TDI, 92 Subaru SVX, 87 Subaru GL Turbo, 92 Dodge Ram 5.9L diesel 4x4
    Got my kit and installed it and my check engine light went off!!! But then it came back for an oxygen sensor code, which came right back the next day after I cleared it :-(

13. leadpilot12

leadpilot12 New Member

Car:
    2009 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    none
    Don't bother with the Stealership! Buy the part from Dieselgeek and get on with you life! I bought mine. Installed in short order. Reset light with Ross-tech software. Light out. Took car to garage for inspection. All good. A month later and no light! AWESOME!! Dieselgeek's part is super well made, CNC machined aluminum part! Bravo Dieselgeek and thank you for saving me $$$ (10 X's the cost) to take to Stealership for repair!!!

14. mwc360

mwc360 New Member

Car:
    2009 Jetta TDi, 2005.5 Jetta TDi
    Thanks to Lowyo for the awesome and cheap solution!

I wasted a lot of time trying to find the right screw and drill bit size for this.

Here's what you need:
    10-24 4/3" self tapping screw (Ace has them). I was really impressed by how well it worked as I really didn't want to buy a tap set.
    Size 20 Drill Bit (Size 19 will also work with this size screw but the fit will be a little less tight).

The 3/4" screw is the perfect size so that you can screw it all the way into the aluminum and this ends up being the right size to support the motor arm without having to cut the screw. Also, i'd recommend getting a hex head screw as it's easier to apply torque with these compared to a flat head screw driver. My motor was missing the spring. While i'm not totally sure it's needed i bought a spring and replaced it. To make sure the linkage didn't fall off of the motor arm again I used an e-clip. I'd recommend a 3/8ths E clip. You can use a dremel to cut the groves in the ball part of the motor arm so that the e-clip will slide on/stay in place.

I could tell right away that the intake flap motor was working again right after this fix but it took about a 1/2 hour of driving for the code to actually go away.

15. mwc360

mwc360 New Member

Car:
    BTW, Lowyo's solution only costs < $10 if you don't already have the right sized drill bit. Definitely takes more time compared to the dieselgeek fix. I also forgot to not that I had to use my dremel to cut away at the aluminum a bit so that I had enough room to get the self-tapping screw in all the way. You can see on Lowyo's website where this needs to be done if you use a hex head screw.

16. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Site Sponsor

Car:
    2016 Golf TDI 6MT
    I have quite a bit of experience with helping people fix their P2015 code. The screwed method only limits motor travel at one end of its sweep, not both ends like our fix bracket does. It is also easy to get the angle wrong when you drill the motor. If you get it wrong there's not any way to correct it. Also, the circlip thing is useless. If you effectively limit travel you do not need to install a circlip on the ball and doing so will increase wear in the system since you are cutting into the ball.

Jim
    www.dieselgeek.com

17. mwc360

mwc360 New Member

Car:
    Jim,

Your fix is definitely the most comprehensive and least time consuming however for those that don't want to spend $64 on a bracket the alternative is to spend <$10 on a screw and drill bit. I haven't heard of the arm extending too far to the other end being a problem. As I mentioned, a 3/4 inch self-tapping screw is perfect for stopping the arm from going past it's designed limit. Some people might find it hard but I didn't find it hard at all to drill the screw in at the right spot. I think you are right about the e-clip though, definitely a chintzy fix. I just put the clip on as extra insurance so the linkage arm wouldn't be able to fall off again.

18. TDI Hoo

TDI Hoo Member

Car:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Thanks Jim and Paula. Your bracket fixed the P2015 code on my 2010 Golf TDI with 131,000 miles. Email support was fantastic! Took about 20 minutes, tops.

19. seposey

seposey New Member

Car:
    2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
    Got the bracket from dieselgeek, thanks. During motor removal forceps popped off and spring dropped...have searched for hours but haven't yet found. Anyone know where I can get a replacement spring?

20. seposey

seposey New Member

Car:
    2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
    Sorry for the spin everyone...FOUND IT! Only took 4 hrs of searching...used a can of compressed air around tight spaces just below where it mounts and it fell out.