Important Info 2009-2014 2.0L TDI VW Gen 1 Engine DSG

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by glennmax, Aug 3, 2017.

1. glennmax

glennmax Member

Car:
    Golf VI
    Surprise!

Got this email yesterday:

The part I found interesting in the Approved Emissions Modification link is this:

"...During the modification Volkswagen will remove the software that reduced the effectiveness of your TDI’s emission control system
    and replace it with software that directs your vehicle’s emission controls to function effectively in all normal driving conditions.
    The modification will also include the replacement of the NOx Reduction Catalyst,...."

I honestly thought that more parts would be needed to get to complete compliance.
    At the bottom of this post, I will copy the emissions chart that will show the emission compromise that VW and the EPA and CARB came up with.

Here is the whole email with clickable links:

" The EPA and CARB have approved an emissions modification for the Generation 1 vehicle that you registered in the Online Claims Portal for the VW/Audi 2.0L Diesel Emissions Settlements. For more information on the Approved Emissions Modification, including information on what the modification involves, the impact (if any) that the modification will have on the vehicle and the terms of the extended emissions warranty, please click here.

What do I need to do now?

· If you have not yet created an account and/or submitted supporting information and documentation for your claim to participate in the Settlement Program, you may submit a claim through the Online Claims Portal or the Paper Claims Form. Instructions on how to complete your claim and accept the Approved Emissions Modification can be found here.

· If you already submitted a claim and selected an Approved Emissions Modification as your remedy, you do not need to do anything. Volkswagen will process your claim in the normal claims review process.

· If you have already received and accepted an offer letter for an Approved Emissions Modification and your signed offer letter has been accepted by Volkswagen, you may now schedule your appointment for an Approved Emissions Modification directly with your preferred dealership. Dealerships will be equipped with the necessary materials to complete the modification after August 11, 2017. Appointment availability will vary by dealership.

· If you do not wish to participate in the Settlement Program but want to get an Approved Emissions Modification on your vehicle, you may schedule an appointment directly with your preferred dealer.

Upon completion of the Approved Emissions Modification, eligible consumers participating in the Settlement Program will receive payment of an amount to which they are entitled. Remember that payments you will receive are based on your vehicle mileage as of the date the modification is performed. For more information on the impact that mileage has on payment amounts, click here.

If you file a claim and have the modification completed, you have the option to receive payment via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or paper check. Those selecting paper check will receive payment in the mail to the mailing address on your claim. Click here to see information on how to accept electronic funds for those that select EFT. "

Now, here is page 6 and 7 that shows the chart of emissions:

Your vehicle was originally certified to EPA and CARB emission standards.
    After the modification, your vehicle’s emissions will be reduced
    but will still be higher than the emission standard to which it was originally certified
    The certified emissions standards compared with the emission limits that apply to your vehicle after the modification are shown in Exhibit 1.

Exhibit 1: Certification standards and respective emission limits applicable to your vehicle before and after the
    Emission Modification Emission limits applicable to your vehicle before the Emission Modification
    Federal

upload_2017-8-3_12-22-27.png

Early Jetta Sedan loyalty edition vehicles (test group 9VWXV02.035N) were originally
    certified under LEVII LEV in California and Section 177 states.

Emission limits applicable to your vehicle after the Emission Modification
    (applies to all Generation 1 vehicles)

Federal States, California and Section 177 States

upload_2017-8-3_12-24-1.png

I do not live in California, and I have over 120,000 miles on my Golf.
    For NOx and NMOG, there is no difference between 0.07+0.09 = 0.16, originally required, and the 0.16 listed for after the emissions modification.
    For CO, there is no difference between the 4.2, originally required, and the 4.2 listed for after the emissions modification.
    For PM, there is no difference between the 0.01, originally required, and the 4.2 listed for after the emissions modification.
    For HCHO, there is no difference between the 0.018, originally required, and the 0.018 listed for after the emissions modification.

So, this statement "...After the modification, your vehicle’s emissions will be reduced but will still be higher than the emission standard to which it was originally certified. " does not appear to be accurate in my particular instance.

I am surprised at the little amount of modification my Golf will get and how it will now be completely within the Federal regulation for where I live and miles on my car.

:)