If you found your first car now, would you buy it again?

Discussion in 'The off ramp' started by 6eggs, Aug 3, 2011.

1. TripleTransAm

TripleTransAm New Member

Car:
    Trans Ams
    First car officially to my name? I probably would buy it again... but I don't have to. 'Cause I still own it. :)

From way back when....

[​IMG]

to a pic taken last Fall:

[​IMG]

I came close to letting go of it back in the 90s when I got my first house... all the while, I kept telling myself I'd become that guy in the classic car magazine article some decades later that would lament the one that got away. So I tightened the belt for the first couple of years and managed to keep it, and here we are in 2012. :nana2:

2. DougReed

DougReed New Member

Car:
    01 Jetta
    Nice old Pontiac!

3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    BAH, no screaming chicken :D

4. amstel78

amstel78 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI
    1962 Ford Fairlane 500... and no, wouldn't buy one again unless it was dirt cheap and had all the original parts on it.

5. TripleTransAm

TripleTransAm New Member

Car:
    Trans Ams
    Thanks... yeah, sadly all Pontiacs are now pretty much old Pontiacs. ;-) No big deal, though, they were pretty boring near the end, without the Firebirds (dead since 2002). Pretty hard to get excited about G3s, G5s, G6s, G8s, G13s, G66-and-three-quarters, etc.

I have my fill of screaming chickens, thank you very much.

[​IMG]

The rather spartan high mileage example in the foreground (dirty from an earlier rain) was purchased in 2000, completing a childhood dream to own a '77 or '78 T/A. The other '78 to the right was found in mid 2010, with only 50000 miles on the clock and loaded with pretty much every option... bought from the original owner (65 year old lady who could no longer reach the clutch pedal!).

One of the big selling points for the 80s GTA model I showed earlier was its lack of decal/graphics. A very porsche-like metal emblem on the nose, some metal GTA-Trans am emblems on the front fenders, metal bird emblems on the C pillars, and that was it. Not even the common-for-80s-Trans Ams contrasting colour band on the skirts, it was rather a monochromatic theme. And of course the gold lace wheels no doubt inspired by the BBS-style wheels of the 70s/80s that were so common on euro sports coupes. A stark contrast to the wild decals and graphics of the 70s cars I posted here now.

I'll never claim them to be the best cars around, but they certainly are very fun to drive and handle great (and in the case of my '98, have a crazy amount of power while being very very fuel efficient). Sadly, it is way too easy to find examples that have had the snot beaten out of them.

6. boettj-tdi

boettj-tdi New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta TDI 06
    The first car I drove was a 1980 Over the Hill Green Diesel Rabbit. Shortly after that I bought a VW Fox 2 door with a 4 speed. What a zippy little car. I loved it, and put over 240k miles before finally letting it go.

Jason
    2006 VW Jetta TDI

7. Barnswallow

Barnswallow Member

Car:
    2005 Jetta GLS TDI
    Gosh yes..... actually I'm looking for it. If anybody in NJ knows where it is.
    It's probably a basket case by now but it needs to come home where it belongs.
    58 Triumph TR3A

8. UTbuckeye

UTbuckeye New Member

1972 Dodge Dart Swinger, eggshell white with baby blue interior. Bought it from the original owner who had the entire service history written on athletic tape on the sun visor. There was probably an inch and a half of tape just in oil changes. And no, I probably wouldn't buy it back, I need something with power breaks and an FM radio! Good car though, and great memories!

9. Wolfsbur

Wolfsbur New Member

Car:
    01 Golf
    Bought my first car in 1983--a 1975 Audi Fox. Sold it to buy a 79 round headlight Rabbit diesel. Would buy the Fox back, same with the Rabbit.

Geoff

10. chadsci

chadsci New Member

Car:
    2011 VW Sportwagen TDI
    In a heart beat. 1966 VW beetle with a Baja kit and a 1776 motor. Sold it to someone in Thunder bay... Never got to see it again.

11. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    First one, probably not: 1960 Corvair with the amazingly efficient Powerslide (Powerglide) automatic.

Second one, hell yes: 1963 Corvair Monza Spyder Convertible (4 speed).

12. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Do you mean the actual first car I had or just the same make/model/year/color?

If the first one, no. It had a warped cylinder, ran beautifully on 3 but why adopt that problem again? If you mean the second one then yes, absolutely. My first car was a 1984 Rabbit Diesel so I'd be all over one if I found another I could hold onto :D

13. WestWagen

WestWagen New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta SportWagen 2012
    Yes, in a heartbeat. 1996 Firebird

Picked for nothing after it had been in a bad accident and the owners insurance totaled it . I searched ebay and every junk yard in my area to replace all the panels and front end that was smashed or missing. Did all the work myself to get it running and street legal again.

Ended up selling it to a friend back in 2005 after I moved to the city and couldn't afford a parking spot for it.

14. Blue_Hen_TDI

Blue_Hen_TDI New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI DSG
    '81 Monte Carlo. Handed down from dear old dad. Leaky t-tops. Sagging doors. Cracking vinyl. Peeling paint w/ rust accents. Wire wheels. Slipping auto tranny.

Survey says.... NO!

15. Duggyballs

Duggyballs New Member

Car:
    Audi a4 b6 2003
    Fiat punto, no!

16. Hi-tech autos

Hi-tech autos New Member

Car:
    VW Golf
    Austin Mini metro van in blue 'b' reg 1.0 A+ series engine -plastic bag wrapped roung the dizzy cap to stop water killing the points.
    Great fun! cost me £5 a week in fuel to go to work and back all week!!
    Engine mounting bolt sheared whilst driving -so it was scrapped ,but I'd love to blast about in another-even though it twice tried to kill me with "fuel filler pipe" problem these MK1 metro types suffered from (they had the fuel filler pipe right by the wheel causing it to attempt to murder you every so often when you turned a corner with a decent amount of fuel in it)

17. dr.moe

dr.moe Member

Car:
    passat / 2004
    1957 Chevy Model 150 2-door station wagon (not a Nomad). Absolutely! I'd almost mortgage my first-born to get that car again!

18. Stinkyfingers

Stinkyfingers New Member

Car:
    '03 Jetta variant TDI
    Mods:
    Rocket Chip 2, Atlas skid plate, Cat filter, misce
    A 1959 Rambler American? No way!!:panic:

19. gulfcoastguy

gulfcoastguy New Member

Car:
    2013 JSW
    A 1964 Ford pickup. It had a 292 V8, a 2 speed auto tranny, steel dash, no seat belts, no power steering or power brakes, the gas tank was behind the seat and leaked slightly. Buy it again? Not on your life!

20. earlthepearl

earlthepearl New Member

Car:
    VW, Passat TDI GLS, 2004
    Mods:
    Trans swap, 6 M, Geared BS, Stage 2 chip, W 8 leather seats
    Just back from Vietnam in 68 with a pocket full of cash, just had to have that canary yellow 66 GTO. I had to sell it because I couldn't afford the insurance. If I could find one in good shape, I would definitely buy one. I probably couldn't afford it though.