How to DIY oil change with oil extractor on VW Touareg TDI or Audi Q7 TDI

Discussion in 'Audi Q5, Q7, Touareg TDI, Porsche Cayenne forum' started by chittychittybangbang, Oct 20, 2010.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This is a mirrored and slightly edited article by DCC. I resized the pics down from huge and added some notes and part numbers. Thanks again!

I don't yet have a DIY list for Touareg and Q7 but there will be one in the future. Until then, here is a direct link to the oil change article

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/treg/touareg-tdi-oil-change-diy.htm

[​IMG]

login to remove this ad
  2. TLCoker

TLCoker New Member

Car:
    2013 Touareg
    Using an oil "Extractor" 2013 Touareg TDI

I read with great interest your article on changing your oil in 2010 Touareg with an extraction pump through the dipstick tube.

My questions are # 1 where can I find an extraction pump

#2 my 2013 does not have a dipstick....would an extraction pump work if inserted through the oil filter?

It seems that as these cars progress the manufacturer makes it harder and harder for the owner to perform any kind of ordinary/routine maintainence.

3. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I use a mity vac but you can honestly use any vacuum pump that empties into a container. There are some vids of me using it on my jetta in jetta FAQ and my youtube channel, works well if oil is warm.

2. It should but it's plugged. You can even retrofit the dipstick but I don't know the right part number. Look in front of engine and you'll see a mysterious tube with the tip plugged.

4. hammerdog

hammerdog New Member

Car:
    2014 Porsche Cayenne
    I have done one oil change extraction on my 09 VW Touareg V6 TDI without any issues, but in reading some posts on touareg forum site, some folks have indicated that Audi says you should not do an oil extraction on the V6 TDI 3.0 engine. There has been speculation that this engine has a baffle plate that prevents an extractor from reaching sump bottom. Anybody have information on a baffle plate in the Touareg V6 TDI 3.0 engine which would obstruct an oil extraction.

5. DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta Member

Car:
    2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500 NMLE
    I do this on my Q7 TDI, and it is extremely difficult to get the extraction tube all the way to the bottom. My experience is that it can be hit and miss; and with my large tank extraction unit, it's impossible to see how much volume has been extracted.

6. hammerdog

hammerdog New Member

Car:
    2014 Porsche Cayenne
    Is it difficult because the Q7 TDI has a baffle which impedes the extraction tube? My extractor hold 8.3 liters before I have to empty it and I extracted the 8.3 liters without a problem. I put a mark on the extractor tube so I am only inserting the same exact length as the dip stick so I know I am hitting the bottom.

A touareg owner in the below thread talks about having a problem extracting oil from his V6 TDI. The Q7 TDI and Touareg V6 TDI are the same engine, but I have never read anything about a baffle plate on the 3.0 Touareg V6 TDI engine.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/oil-extraction-v6-tdi-problem-55677.html

7. hammerdog

hammerdog New Member

Car:
    2014 Porsche Cayenne
    I did another extraction oil change on my 2009 Touareg TDI using a Mityvac 7300. I was able to extract slightly less than 8 liters of oil and added 8.3 liters of Mobil 1â„¢ ESP Formula 5W-30 oil. For whatever it is worth, my ELSAWIN VW/Audi software manual specifies you can extract the oil on the VW TDI 3.0 engine, but not to use the extraction method on the Audi Q7 3.0 engine. So although the Audi Q7 TDI and VW Touareg TDI both have the 3.0 engine, there are some differences between them.

8. TDINorth

TDINorth Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M, 2014 Q5 TDI,
    What? There is no drain plug on the bottom? What does a dealer do?

9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    There's a drain plug but extraction is the recommended method so they don't have to remove any underbody pans (and loose the fasteners, causing it to fall off the next day), and because this results in a faster service. In a garage, time = money, they want the cars in and out.

10. DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta Member

Car:
    2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500 NMLE
    The Touareg and the Q7 are supposed to have the same TDI engine.

That being said, my 2010 Q7 TDI had a dipstick, as does the 2015. I just checked.

11. Callipygian

Callipygian Member

Car:
    2015 Golf TDI SEL manual
    Mods:
    extended waiting period before delivery, imaginary diesel vroom noises, zenlike patience
    Would his method be suitable for the new 2.0tdi engine as well? Since the filter is in such a pita location this might be easier.

12. Rob VN

Rob VN New Member

Car:
    2015 Cayenne Diesel