How to bleed Clutch with Motive Power Bleeder?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by a03tdi, Sep 11, 2017.

1. a03tdi

a03tdi New Member

Car:
    2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
    Hi all,
    2003 Jetta TDI Wagon,
    I have read the FAQ on how to bleed the brakes. But it doesn't specifically address the clutch when pressure bleeding. It mentions a recirculating method but states not to use this method if you are replacing the fluid.
    I want to replace the fluid but don't know the specific procedure.
    Do I use my Motive pressure bleeder like usual? Fill it with fluid, pressurize the the bleeder and brake fluid reservoir, crack open the clutch bleed screw, and let fluid flow? Or do I pressurize the bleeder, push the clutch pedal to the floor, crack the bleed screw on the clutch cylinder, run fluid through it,tighten the bleed screw, then lift the pedal off of the floor? I have read both methods but am confused!
    Can someone here steer me in the right direction?
    Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Peter

2. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    When you push the clutch pedal, flow from the brake fluid reservoir is interrupted.
    Accordingly, leave the clutch pedal unpushed.
    Cheers

3. Peca

Peca Member

Car:
    Passat b6, 2007, 103 KW
    It is not necessary to use pressure bleeder, it is absolutely safe to bleed your clutch on traditional method, because the clutch master cylinder travels all the way down every time you press the clutch pedal, and there is no risk of damage clutch master cylinder seal. You have to take care to fill your brake fluid reservoir to the top. Repeat this procedure several times, until new brake fluid starts to flow out.

4. a03tdi

a03tdi New Member

Car:
    2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
    Thanks for the replies Audi1z and Peca. It sounds like I leave the pedal alone and can either pressure bleed or do the manual bleed. Easy peasy.
    Thanks again,
    Peter