High-pressure pump positioning during timing belt replacement

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by SigmaPic, Jul 4, 2017.

1. SigmaPic

SigmaPic New Member

Car:
    VW Golf VI 2010 2.0 TDI 140 CFFB
    Hello,

I just watched this video (from you) on youtube that explains how to replace the timing belt.

In the video, the guy says that it's difficult to get the high pressure pump back to the right position.
    VW also say the same in official replacement guides.
    They also say that a small shift has no impact.

It's quite strange from my point of view.
    I can understand that there is no impact on engine performances, but I have the following questions.

1. Why do we need to loosen the bolts on the high-pressure? What about replacing the timing belt without touching to these bolts?
    2. Same for the camshaft gear. Why is it needed to loosen camshaft gear bolts if we put the new timing belt exactly in the same position? I don't understand why this fine positioning is required?

Thank for the time you will take to answer to me.

2. Peca

Peca Member

Car:
    Passat b6, 2007, 103 KW
    It is not necessary, but it is desirable, because that is a camshaft gear and when you tensioning the belt gears attempt to rotate to the left but when this bolts ar loosend only gear will rotate and camshaft and fuel pump will stay in place because are blocked with tools. Thats the only way to change the timing belt correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017
  3. aoleks

aoleks New Member

Car:
    Audi A4 B8 2008 2.0 TDI CR
    sigmapic, the bolts have to be loose because the new belt is tighter and correctly positioning it requires a bit of a wiggle. since you don't want to be moving the actual cam and fuel pump, you want to loosen the bolts so that the sprocket cam move freely when tightening the belt. having said that, the precision is not given by these bolts, but the locking tools and the correct install / tension.