Heater, headlights, turn signals, wipers, defroster, all went out at once??

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by downshift93, Dec 7, 2017.

1. downshift93

downshift93 New Member

Car:
    1999 Beetle TDI 1.9
    So this morning my 1999 Beetle TDI 5speed would not turn over at all. It was not even attempting to crank over at all. Then randomly out of nowhere it started fine. I turned off the car and tried to start it again but it did the same thing, most of the time it does nothing when I turn the key (the dash lights come on but the engine does not attempt to turn over whatsoever)

Once I got the car started again I wanted to let it sit for a minute so I went to turn on the heat but nothing happened, then I started to see what else would not work and I found that these issues... no heat, no rear defrost, no headlights (brights work only when I flash them), no turn signals, and no wipers. Also the rear tail lights and 3rd brake light are on as if I were pushing in the brakes.

Yesterday my car was working fine. I did notice a smell yesterday during the last time I drove the car, it wasn't quite the smell of burning plastic but it smelled similar to that, and it was a faint smell it was not overpowering.

Can anyone help point me in a direction on how to troubleshoot or repair this issue? I am sure its some sort of computer/electrical issue but I just don't even know where to start with this one.

I greatly appreciate any help with this, my job depends on me getting this fixed. I can take today and tomorrow off but after that I'm out of time off from work so Ive basically got two days to get this issue resolved :-/

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Have you checked all fuses, do you have a fuse layout as ElsaWin doesn't allow you to copy & paste on older vehicles.

3. downshift93

downshift93 New Member

Car:
    1999 Beetle TDI 1.9
    Thanks, I checked all the fuses in the fuse box on the drivers door, none of them were blown.

4. downshift93

downshift93 New Member

Car:
    1999 Beetle TDI 1.9
    It was a faulty ignition switch, I replaced it and the cars doing great now!

Now its off to work tomorrow!!

So Keithuk, rest assured, no free rides here, I didn't get top notch information for the price of the wind blowing on my back, I happily found the fix myself and promptly paid my dues and posted the repair post haste ;-)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017