Hard starting when cold

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Jdg5147, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Jdg5147

Jdg5147 New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2006
    I just did cam lifters and injectors now when it’s cold it starts really hard the glow plugs only stay on like 5seconds when it’s 30 degrees out . When it does start it blows a lot of gray fuel smelling smoke

2. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Sounds to me like you may need it adjust your injectors....

3. Jdg5147

Jdg5147 New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta 2006
    That would make it start hard only when it’s cold? How do you adjust them I can’t find how do do it anyplace thanks

4. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    My experience has been if they are off, the car is significantly harder to start, cold or otherwise. I am by no means an expert, just my experience.

There are a number of really good write ups with pictures online which do not require a gauge, I have not seen one here, maybe I’ll do a video. Basically, hand turn the engine until the intake lobe on the cam is pointing directly at the hole in the injector roller for the cylinder you wish to adjust. Then release the lock nut, use a 6mm Allen wrench and tighten until it stops, then back it out 180 degrees and tighten the nut (while holding the adjustment screw with the Allen wrench), I think the torque is 24 ft-lbs. repeat for all 4.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017