Hard shifting and limp mode

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by 04jettabew, Dec 3, 2017.

1. 04jettabew

04jettabew New Member

Car:
    2004 vw jetta tdi
    I recently purchased a used 2004 jetta tdi, with the bew motor, 5 speed tiptronic, the car was sold as is non runner with a bad battery and bad alternator.

Went to pepboys bought what they had in stock i bought the 120 amp, and a new battery.

Installed cleaned all terminals.

Car starts and runs fine for a car with 270k on the clock, after about ten minutes driving or so, the Mil will come on, and it will start slamming gears, a quick restart and it drives good the codes i am
    Getting are very odd, and not leaving me with much but to just get another alternator under warranty.
    The codes i have are 01166, 17911.
    And after a week of driving with restarting the car at lights i get code 18628 added to the list of the other two and the mil will not turn off after a couple of key on key offs

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2017
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    welcometomyturbodies

VAG Error Code: 001166

EOBD II Error Code: P048E

Fault Location:
    Exhaust Gas Pressure Control Valve Position Sensor/Switch - Circuit High/Short Circuit to Positive

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Wiring/Connector(s) short to positive.
    Exhaust gas pressure control valve position sensor.
    Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Position sensor signal > 4.85 V.

VAG Error Code: 17911/005379

EOBD II Error Code: P1503

Fault Location:
    Load Signal from Alternator Terminal DF - Range/Performance/Implausible Signal

Possible Cause:
    Alternator faulty.
    Voltage Regulator faulty.
    Wiring/Connector(s).

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Alternator.
    Check/Replace Voltage Regulator.
    Check the fuse box that is in the battery tray, it might be burnt, the fuse or the complete plastic box (pretty common failure on Sharan because it carries so much electrical load). If so, change the complete fuse box, it is not too expensive fix if this is the cause.

Special Notes:
    When found on the BEW engine, check Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) 16, Field 1. In most cases values will be between 15% to 30% at idle. 0% could indicate a failed or incorrect alternator.

VAG Error Code: 08598/18628/008598/5119/5120/4116/5121

EOBD II Error Code: P2196

Fault Location:
    Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 1 (G39), Bank 1 - Signal Stuck Rich/Signal too High (Rich)

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Excessive Fuel Consumption.

Vacuum leaks.
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 1 (G39).
    Fuel pressure.
    Injectors.
    Air intake restricted.

Possible Solutions:
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Check/Replace Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 1 (G39), Bank 1.

Description:
    The front Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 1 (G39) is placed into the exhaust manifold. It detects the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas compared to the outside air. The Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 1 (G39) has a closed-end tube made of ceramic zirconia. The zirconia generates voltage from approximately 1V in richer conditions to 0V in leaner conditions. The Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor 1 (G39) signal is sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM). The Engine Control Module (ECM) adjusts the injection pulse duration to achieve the ideal air-fuel ratio. The ideal air-fuel ratio occurs near the radical change from 1V to 0V.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software