Grrrr......

Discussion in 'The off ramp' started by NMTDI, Jun 5, 2013.

1. NMTDI

NMTDI New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta S, 2013 Passat TDI SE
    Got out of work a bit early tonight, on the way home. In the Passat. Heated seat making me comfy. My route home takes me through a small one-stoplight kinda town, then onto a two lane (one each way) state road a little over 8.5 miles long to the city where I live. I'm almost all the way across this town when I see a set of headlights on the opposite end in my rearview. Think it's a co-worker, no biggie. Less than a minute later I signal to make my turn and pull to the right at the stoplight. Happen to look up in the rearview again and see a set of headlights come F-L-Y-I-N-G right up behind me. I notice the lights dip since the driver had to slam on his brakes and go to dims as they were on high beams (Didn't notice until then, thanks auto-mirror). I think "*******" and look in my off-hand mirror as we pass under a street light. He's right behind me still. I see a black slam-bar and a beehive logo. Great, UHP Charger.

The state road goes as follows - 40 mph from the light, less than a mile than to a 50 mph zone for about approx. 1/2 a mile and onto 60mph for the remainder until you hit a set of railroad tracks then it's back down to 45mph and then 30 since you are in Tooele. Moving on - I get to 40, follow the road. Wait for the sign to read 50mph before increasing. Cop is still glued to me. 75 feet after the 50mph section starts it's legal to pass. I expect this guy to do the normal UHP thing and floor his Charger past me. Nope, still glued. 60mph and I lock the cruise. This cop stays glued to my bumper at the speed limit. Several times during the course he actually closed the distance to what I considered reckless and unreasonable. Why? He was close enough that I could only see the top 1/2 of his windshield. Close enough that I could see the little red readout from his clocking device reflecting on his face when he moved (in the dark @ 0040 no less). Close enough that the light sensor on the mirror could not pick up ANY light from his Charger and actually went back to daytime mode! If there was any emergency situation that required me to hit the brakes, the front of his Charger would have piled into the back of the Passat and done some major damage. This continued until we reached the next stoplight at Main St. in Tooele and both turned right. Then he floored it around me in the left lane and took off up a 35mph Main St. at what had to be close to 80 but not before I could grab his plate number. I called it in to dispatch and am expecting a call from a duty sergeant in the AM (we'll see).

Still new here so no idea if any members are/were LEOs, but what possesses an officer to conduct themselves in such a dangerous fashion? He had no conscionanble reason to follow me like he did.

Sorry if any of this comes across as incoherent/run-on. No sleep the night before + 12 hour workday + sick child = running on fumes and not getting any better.

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    ive always felt a mason jar full of ball bearings, bodily fluid, chucked from window as people like that go to pass deserve it... even those ones that squeel.. ive seen it.. and all you have now done is put a bullseye on you.. your toast.. oinky knows who he tailgated...

3. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    Sometimes it best to just pull over and let the IDIOTS go around. Thats almost as bad as the guy who pulls out in front of you then immediately puts his signal on. We could easily start a thread: most irritating driver.

4. Localnet

Localnet New Member

Car:
    2012 Golf 2dr, 2010 Ram 1500, 2008 Civic coupe
    I drive a truck for a living up in the oil fields of North Dakota... I pull to the shoulder quite a bit, it is a daily occurrence for me. And yes, I do the same in my pov, I have a couple million miles behind the wheel, not much I haven't seen out here, and I don't want to be another statistic. I would have pulled to the shoulder to see what was up or let him around. This new batch of police we have now a days aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and are by and by pretty darn rude and arrogant. The situation has really changed over the past 30 years.

5. Smokin' Dually

Smokin' Dually New Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI & 1994Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins
    I drive about 25 miles each way to work and one thing I've noticed in the last couple (few?) years are the latchers. My work beater ('99 Elantra - don't ask) needs to drive several miles before the torque converter will lock up. I'f I drive too fast reight away it kills the milage enough that I only get 3 days out of a tank instead or 4.

Anyway, I drive at 60 until the TCC locks and people come up behind me and "latch on". They match my speed while their attention is diverted elsewhere. I will usually starte to vary my speed and they will match, all the while following to close to react if anything should happen. If it is light enough I can see them looking down (smart phone) but by staying close, they can rely on their prehepherial vision and can keep surfing or emailing. Heck, a couple of weeks ago I had someone down to 43 on the 4 lane that is 65. I will usually get them to swing their speed from about 50 to a little over 60 before they realize I messing with them.

NH TDI likes this.
  6. earlthepearl

earlthepearl New Member

Car:
    VW, Passat TDI GLS, 2004
    Mods:
    Trans swap, 6 M, Geared BS, Stage 2 chip, W 8 leather seats
    I drive a lot, and have seen a lot. Most of my business travel is between the mountains of NC to DC/Baltimore. I-95 and I-81 are real pains, always congested and full of crazy drivers. Worst yet are the 495 and 695 Beltways. There you can see men shaving, and women applying makeup, during rush hour(s) on their way to work. Texting is commonplace in spite of the laws against it. One "screw up" means a 45 minute commute becomes 2 hours. Fortunately, I have only been "rear ended" once in 10 years. Unfortunately, I have witnessed 3 fatalities in that same period, along with numerous non-fatal crashes. Submarining under a stopped Semi trailer has to be the ultimate payback for distracted driving. My bumper sticker says "HANG UP AND DRIVE"!