Golf 2.0 BKD electrics nightmare

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Bouchay, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Bouchay

Bouchay New Member

Car:
    2008 (57) Golf 2.0 GT TDI Sport BKD
    Hi folks 1st post and I need lots of help!

Golf mk5 2008 2.0 BKD

Last summer I bought a heated leather interior and fitted it with the intention of eventually getting the heated seats working. In Nov I bought a Kufateck loom and installed it according to the instructions. Somehow I've managed to screw a lot of things up!

Symptoms:
    1. Park assist intermittently makes strange noise.
    2. Indicators in speedo cluster and door mirrors flash out of sync with front and rear indicators.
    3. Auto Door locking goes bananas when driving. Locks, unlocks, locks, unlocks. However I can stop this by turning off the auto lock setting in highline cluster.
    4. Convenience setting in highline cluster is sometimes not accessible.
    5. Speedo cluster illumination flickers intermittently
    6. Switching on the blower makes relay 373 on the panel above CECM click on and off every few seconds.
    7. Car alarm goes off after locking car intermittently.
    8. No cruise control

Parts I've replaced:

1. CECM with an identical part number, with no change to symptoms.
    2. Steering wheel control module, but horn won't stop going off.
    3. Cruise control/indicator stalk, with no change change to symptom.
    4. Hazard switch, with no change.
    5. Relays 373 & 370, with no change change to symptom.

I've had it scanned with VCDS and it can't communicate with the central electrics, door controllers, steering wheel controller, heater blower controller or parking assist. The expert who scanned it said it has to be linked with wiring or relays.

I'm absolutely stuck on what to check next, where or how do I start to check the wiring?

I want to have a go myself before dropping by it off at an auto electric garage and facing a huge bill.

login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Relay 370 is High Heat Output Relay 3 (J360) No. 1 relay in the carrier box under the dash, relay 373 is Low Heat Output Relay (J359) No. 2 relay in the carrier box under the dash. With fuses in the e-box under the bonnet.

VCDS can't communicate with central electrics, door controllers, steering wheel controller, heater blower controller or parking assist. Is that the same in Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)?

If you want a fuse/relay diagram I just made one for 2007 Golf GT 2.0 TDI-PD Fuse & Relays 63 page PDF, PM me with your email address if you want it.

3. Bouchay

Bouchay New Member

Car:
    Hi, when I plug VCDS in and scan, is cant open the controllers to communicate with them so I don't know about the measuring blocks. I'm a novice when it comes to VCDS, ive only ever read fault codes and changed some long coding.

Ive messaged you about relay info ;)

4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) are in each control module. It shows as Meas. Blocks - 08 on the button on the left. I've read you PM I'll send you the PDF file.

Is this VCDS yours or you borrowed it from someone? If you have a genuine VCDS cable then I suggest you register it online VCDS Dongle Registration then you can join Ross-Tech forum and ask any question with a full AutiScan attached.

I asked a question about Measuring Value Blocks yesterday. http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?8451-Measurment-blocks/page2

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/m-blocks.php

5. Bouchay

Bouchay New Member

Car:
    I've just been looking through some wiring diagrams in my Haynes manual and stumbled across this!

On the right hand side, where it states "CONVENIENCE CAN BUS CONNECTED TO"

This is pretty much the exact list of faults I have with my mk5.

So, do I have a problem with the CAN BUS wires?

Attached Files:

6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I could have added loads of wiring diagrams to my PDF but that will double or triple the file size. You have the same Haynes workshop manual that I brought because the Mk6 Golf wasn't made when I brought my Golf. They do a manual for the later version now.

https://haynes.com/en-gb/golf-petrol-diesel-09-12-haynes-repair-manual

Was the PDF I sent you any use for Fuses & Relays?

7. Bouchay

Bouchay New Member

Car:
    Yes, the PDF you sent was for fuses and relays, very helpful!

The think I'm getting somewhere with this now, well at least it feels like some of the unknowns have been ticked off.

I'm going to have a good root around the wiring on Saturday morning, if I can't get anywhere with it this weekend, it going to have to be booked in to see the professionals!

8. Bouchay

Bouchay New Member

Car:
    OMG I think I've cracked it!

I took the whole lower dash apart, removed the heated seat loom completely, getting the connections out of the fuse panel was horrendous!

I tried to trace all the CAN BUS wires as far as I could and could not find anything wrong.

The only part I was unsure of was where the tow bar electrics had been connected to the CAN high & CAN low wires using splice crimps/connectors.

So I removed them and soldered them to make sure that they were connected properly.

Hey presto! No symptoms! So I'm now wondering if the heated seat loom was fine and it was all down to some dodgy crimps?

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to scan it with VCDS yet, so I'll confirm later.