Glow Plug Safe Removal Torque?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Ghostbuster83, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Ghostbuster83

Ghostbuster83 New Member

Car:
    VW, Golf Mk4, 1998
    I am going to change the glow plugs on my 1,9TDI Mk4 Golf TDI and I am terrified that they will snap and render the car useless. I got the idea of using my torque wrench for the removal to stay safe. If they won't come out I just have to skip the job and hope for mild winters :) Can anybody confirm a safe removal torque? I tried googling but I didn't get any luck.

2. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    Do you know that they're overtorqued? I think the spec is 10ft/lb so it should be pretty gentle to remove and I've never seen a reverse-style torque wrench. If they're really locked in there, buy a bottle of AeroKroil penetrating agent and use that to penetrate and loosen up.

3. Ghostbuster83

Ghostbuster83 New Member

Car:
    VW, Golf Mk4, 1998
    Hi again, and thanks for the response. Well I think that it is safe to assume that the loosening torque will be a great deal higher than what was used to tightening them due to rust, time and corrosion no matter how much oil I use. I want to avoid them snapping on me for all cost. So I got the idea that maybe someone had an opinion on what to set my torque wrench on? And by the way my torque wrench definitively goes both ways.

I like the idea about the torque wrench because i don't have a very good feeling with these things I will probably end up using too much force if I use normal tools.

4. Tom MacDonald

Tom MacDonald Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI Station Wagon (North American)
    Make sure you have the engine at top temperature before you take them out, that will make things easier.

5. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    According to Beru, the 10mm glow plugs will break at 35 nM (~25 Ft*Lbs)... So... stay well below that... warm engine helps...

mu2bdriver likes this.
  6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  7. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Those torque figures are for tightening... the question was about loosening after the glow plugs have been sitting in the cylinder head for years... they're known to break... heat and loosening/release fluid are needed... (as well as proper technique - applying only rotational force along the axis...)

Yuri

8. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    The torque to remove, depends on how stuck they are. I would spray with PB(penetration oil not wd40) cold then drive, then spray again hot. Do that a couple times to loosen.

9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    No one will give you a torque setting for loosening something, you use common sense and heat.

10. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Don't forget to try some PB blaster or other penetrating lube. Not WD-40, that's just regular lube.

11. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    VG question. Use as little torque as possible and work them back and forth many times until they gently screw out. What happens is carbon deposits on the tips and they can seize up and break with not much more than installation torque.

12. Oldaccord

Oldaccord Active Member

Car:
    1998 Beetle TDI
    Never use a torque wrench in reverse as you will screw the internal spring that is used for torque tension, once used reverse the torque wrench may no longer be accurate!

13. Oldaccord

Oldaccord Active Member

Car:
    1998 Beetle TDI
    As mentioned! Start engine, bring to optimal running temp, shut engine off, Spray some pb, liquid wrench, or nutbuster spray on the glowplugs, ensure your socket and extension are straight and remove away! If you have a mechanical aptitude youll know what's tight and break the glow plugs tights!

14. T5 AllTerrain

T5 AllTerrain New Member

Car:
    VW Passat 2000, Vagon, 1,9TDi PD (115HP AJM) /VW T5 2008 AllTerrain BZN
    Mods:
    Highline, leather interior, VW NAVI,
    I just used the extender and a special glow plug pipe. It was only hand tight. :) And mine were OLD! (400000km)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  15. BOWZ

BOWZ Member

Car:
    2001 JETTA
    Mods:
    MALONE STAGE 4, 1019 DLC, VNT17, EGT BOOST, 3" DP W/2.5" CUSTOM EXHAST,PANZER PLATE, SBC STAGE 2 DD, .658
    Just pulled mine again after 100K and 3 years, PB blaster PB blaster PB blaster is all I can say. One of mine was insane to get out, creaked the whole time turning it, and when installed the first time I used hi-temp anti seiz. Let us know what you come up with.

Bowz

16. j_martell

j_martell New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon (MK4 BEW A09)
    Reversible torque wrenches are fine to use either direction. Otherwise they wouldn't make them that way. Our Mack RD has reverse threads on one side so everything "runs tight". We use the same wrench to torque both sides.....

17. UhOh

UhOh Member

Car:
    (3) Volkswagen Golf GLS TDI 2000
    Mods:
    All with DLC520s and Malone Stage 2 tunes. Two with: Panzer plate and Sigma 5 shift kit. One with 02m (also has 11mm IP).
    One other "trick" is to apply a little more tightening torque first. One has to be very careful to not twitch and snap them (or anything else you're using this technique on). THEN proceed to loosen (using the methods already stated- warm/hot engine, PB Blaster (apply before the slight tightening maneuver).

18. Tdieezi

Tdieezi New Member

Car:
    VW Golf TDI 2002
    I used my torque wrench and PB Blaster over a couple days to get 2 of mine out. Get the engine hot and set the torque wrench to 10ft.lb. If it clicks go up by 5 ft.lb until it moves. I didn't go over 18. Once it spins a little spray out out with compressed air to clean anything out from around the top of the plug and then spray with pb blaster and let sit. I repeated that, while working them back an forth until they came out easily. One of mine creaked coming out the entire way. It had thread damage, I had to have the hole re-tapped and a new glow plug installed.