gear shifting 2006 td1 jetta

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by spectre, Sep 4, 2017.

1. spectre

spectre New Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    I have a check engine lite on I have had the egr cooler replaced , the mass air flow sensor replaced, the camshaft replaced, no help after all this work done the transmission seems to switch gears going up hill slower than it should it did not have this problem before the lite came on, I found a small pointed plastic nozzle attached to a hose not plugged in that is sucking air on the right rear side of the valve cover I have not been able to find out where it goes. Does the automatic transmission use vacuum to regulate the shifting of gears. After what it has cost me so far I do not want to take it to any more dealers as I think they are nothing but parts replacers and will just replace parts until they solve the problem and I did pay to have them use their diagnosis on it an it came up as the mass airflow was low.

2. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Posting some pics would help.
    And/or they will keep changing parts until they destroy your car from installing parts incorrectly.

"What do you mean I have to authorize a new work order to have my engine replaced? What happened? Did my engine commit suicide while you were replacing the timing belt"?

"Well kinda. Your engine was fine until we turned the key but sometimes stuff just happens".

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  3. spectre

spectre New Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006

4. spectre

spectre New Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    Did find out what the pointed black nozzle is it connects to the valve cover the dealer mechanic lost the hose and just did not bother to replace it until I went back and pointed it out to them. I still have the mass airflow problem I brought the car to them to find out what the problem was I had changed the maf with a after market one no help, but the dealer assured me that the egr was most likely my problem and with the car on the lift I could see where it was leaking had them change it no help, that was when they found out the cam was bad and 2 lifters were holed. I replaced the cam with a cam kit from id parts car runs great shifting is normal now but still have the cel with the code for low air flow ckt A. I have told them to find what is causing the cel and do not replace or repair anything until they ck with me as to what it is, they are now checking the wiring and have said it could be the ecm at one time they hinted it could be the turbo,and when they showed me the cam the mechanic said I needed to change the oil pump, and that the vacuum pump was leaking and needed to be changed needless to say I did neither, when I changed the cam there was no metal or damage in the lifter well area if there was any metal it should have been picked up in the oil filter they have had the car a week now I have told them that I want them to be 100% in their diagnosis. I guess they figure they cannot make a lot money from the car so they are hoping I will get upset and take it someplace else, I am limited in places to take it for repairs in this area.

5. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    After market MAF? Get a genuine Bosch MAF. There was a post were the OP had bought at least 2 Chinese MAFs that didn't function correctly. Out of desperation, he bought an OEM quality Bosch MAF which actually fixed their problem. Cheap Chinese parts in the long run usually cost you more that buying an OEM quality part the first time.

Almost forgot. Do you have an oiled mesh air filter (K&N)? They are notorious for oil fouling MAFs and destroying them on TDI's.

I would call that dealer and tell them to stop work ASAP. Clearly they have no clue and may even leave you broke with a destroyed engine.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  6. spectre

spectre New Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    No I do not have an KN filter it is a dealer one not oiled, I am going to the dealer tomorrow and get them to tell me what is going on with the car they have had it for 11 days now. I am not going to let them work on it or change anything I am going to buy a Busch MAF and change it out. I had previously taken it to another shop and they would not touch it unless they did their own diagnostic on it I refused as they wanted $160.00 for the test just seems to be a big rip off to me. I am now at he point of just buying my own Ross Tech cable they sell for $199.00 or I may just buy the higher priced one for $299.00. All I want from them now is to tell me what is wrong and fix it myself or take it somewhere else.

7. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Sorry, had to ask about the K&N to rule it out. When you go get your car ask for the actual DTCs (codes) by number. If they are charging you for diagnosis you have a right to know what those codes are.

Most likely their form of "diagnoses" is pretty common, which is to pull the DTCs and then just throwing parts at the problem based anything that is named in the text.

The only difference between the $199 and the $299 version is how many cars they can be used on. Ask them if you can upgrade the $199 3 car version to the $299 10 car version later if you need to. Also ask them how many cars you can use the OBD2 function on.

As an aside I've got the $349 older unlimited Hex-Can-USB version.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017