frostheater

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by oztdi, Nov 9, 2013.

1. oztdi

oztdi New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Passat TDI GLS
    Has anybody installed the frostheater on the 2012-14 passats and have pics? i did it in my b5 but with this sideways engine it looks like space is tight.

thanks in advanced

2. ggbaas

ggbaas Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREMIUM
    Mods:
    None
    Frostheater have pictures they can send you, atleast they sent them to me. When you buy the kit, they send you a detailed installation outline with pictures. The area you will be working in is very tight. Removing the heater hoses is difficult and needs special hose pliers. The frostheater is cheap, but not for your weekend mechanic in my opinion.

3. ramairetransam

ramairetransam New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI
    what special pliers do you need?

4. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    Is that your opinion for all of the models or specific to the 2012 Passat? I was thinking about one for my MK4 Jetta but was told that the installation gets in the way of timing belt change components and other routine maintenance items. Not knowing what the installation looks like I can't make my own opinion about that.

5. ggbaas

ggbaas Member

Car:
    Mods:
    None
  6. rico567

rico567 Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    A lot of people say the cable type hose pliers help a lot. I think Craftsman makes some. Personally, I would not attempt this. Living at 40° N. L., I doubt I'll ever find it necessary to install a Frostheater, but if I do, the car will go to an indie guru for the job.

7. Jetblu

Jetblu New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI
    I put one on my MK4 several years ago. it does not get in the way of timing belt change or any other maintenance change. Heater sits just under battery tray. It is not very difficult at all and has definetely been worth it.

8. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver Active Member

Car:
    2003 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    Interesting, thanks. This may be a project next fall for me.

9. ggbaas

ggbaas Member

Car:
    Mods:
    None
    I don't know my way around the WV tdi like I do other cars. Does anyone know where the thermocoupler/temp -sensor for the temp gauge is located on the 2012 tdi?

My observation using the Frost heater is that it does a good job heating the coolant. However, when the engine is started, the engines temp-sensor does not see the hot fluid from the frost heater immediately. I need to drive +/- 500 yards before the engine heat sensor comes in contact with the heated coolant,, at which time the heat gauge jumps to about 1/3 of its range. It is like the engine's coolant temperature sensor is not located in the flow path of the coolant heated by the frost heater.

10. jasonTDI

jasonTDI New Member

Car:
    12' Ram 2500 Cummins QC, LB, 4X4 Big Horn
    Completely different animal.

The NMS is a lot more difficult that the MK4.