Finally started my ALH after 12+ months

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by VW_TDi, Jan 8, 2017.

1. VW_TDi

VW_TDi Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
    Hey guy. I'm happy to be back on the forum. I purchased my 2001 Jetta ALH with 130,000 miles and it lasted all the way to 170,000 miles with no issues until the last several thousand miles. The transmission was delaying along with everything the 01m was known for. It finally gave out with transmission fluid leaking from the cooler or some where on the top so I had it towed back and the car had been sitting there since then. Long story short I wanted a sports car again so I purchased a 2016 GTI with the performance & lighting package December of 2015 and now It sits at close to 350 whp with a simple Mk7 Golf R turbo swap, basic bolt-on's, and water methanol injection.... alright alright enough of bragging. Well I really miss the 40 mpg and I even thought about purchasing a 5 speed manual ALH TDI again, but why would i do that when I have one sitting at home? I know I know it has the 01m transmission and they're known to be pure garbage in the short & long run. I attempted to start the car today and it was doing nothing, but cranking over and misfiring at the same time. I checked the fuel lines & fuel filter & they were empty. I filled the filter with some diesel and attempted again and It did not start. So I went to the auto store and purchased some starting fluid and sprayed some after the MAF and the car started right up, but it was running rough for a minute or so as i can see air bubbles in the clear line going to the fuel pump. After a minute of the rough idle the car ran fine.... idles fine and still blows a little black soot out the tail pipe when I press the gas pedal. I really miss this car and want to get it back on the road and keep the mileage low on my current 2016 GTI. I just need some guidance on what to do with the car..... the transmission is done... it does not go into any gear and it's making a nasty whining sound at idle and with any level of rpm given. Should I just roll the dice and get a used 01m again? I don't have time to convert my car to a manual or swap over the 01m transmission so I need a shop to do it and i can't imagine the labor cost of converting auto to a manual. If I were to get a 01m again do I just get ANY 01m from a diesel or gasoline and expect it to plug right in or do i need a certain model # and other components to go with it? Thanks! I'm glad to be back again! Also Ill keep in mind to ask a shop how much a manual transmission conversion would cost. Can I pull a manual transmission off a gasoline Jetta 1.8T? I seen a few sitting in a junkyard along with automatics.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    login to remove this ad
  2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    gear ratios of gas vs diesel is why a 1.8t no good...

its about 4 hours more to 5 speed swap.. aka electronics not included.. thats changing shifter/adding pedal.. electronics comes down to the mech.. id say 2hr max but a 1st time may take more due to research.. but i do not think the electronics will prevent driving away.. just prevents back up lights/cruize.. other then netrual /park switch.. can be jumped real easy in shifter swap.. but in real world it would goto the clutch depressed to start switch..

3. VW_TDi

VW_TDi Member

Car:
    Thanks! We'll cancel the manual swap. As far as another 01m transmission, are the ratios different between the 1.8t and tdi? Would I need the tcu or my original one can be used?

4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    :rolleyes:gear ratios of gas vs diesel is why a 1.8t no good...:rolleyes:

5. VW_TDi

VW_TDi Member

Car:
    Ok sorry I didn't know the auto gasoline trans also applies to the diesel models. I thought you were only referring to the manual 5 speed.

6. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    gas vs diesel... not hard to explain.. 1.8t are even geared worse as people want boy racer feel.. so think of 3 sets of gear ratios...
    1 really good with keeping rpm low.. diesel...

1 for gas car.. since they hate low rpm get mid range

1 for the boy racer.. 4000 rpm 65mph.. gotta hear it scream..

auto same way.. cause it is

7. eddielee

eddielee Member

Car:
    Jetta/2001
    I would recommend the swap, however, you want to find a shop with experience doing the swap as they know exactly what needs to be done!

As far as the automatic transmission, someone correct me if I am wrong, I believe that you can get another model trans from a different year and bolt right up.
    They changed the trans but not the engine so I would go with a low mileage 2003 or 2000 and older.

I would recommend a rebuilt auto if you go that route as the auto trans from all years are not good at living too long!

Definitely need to do more research though.

man trans swap
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151516

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017 at 8:54 AM