Final step of VW buy-back

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by 2ndPassat, Jan 21, 2017.

1. 2ndPassat

2ndPassat Member

Car:
    Passat TDI SEL Prem. 2012
    Hello everyone,

We have, perhaps many of you have, gone through the on-line process of the VW Diesel buy-back/settlement. There are many steps along the way and our situation is much easier than some.... fully paid car, pink slip in hand, no damage to the outside or inside, no mechanical problems, all in all... a really good car turned in on January 19th. We received the full estimated amount.

Here's what I didn't expect. The dealer receptionist directed us to the a table where the buy-back is finalized. There were two court appointed representatives at separate tables. Not VW reps, not dealer reps. We were greeted, explained everything and assured it would not take long. It was perhaps 15 minutes start to finish. The representative was a very nice guy... easy to talk with.

Transfer of money occurs several business days after handing over the car, so just keep that in mind. It's all detailed in the buyback instructions, emails and clearly explained by the settlement representative. There are some papers to sign, keys and pink slip to hand over. Then the rep goes to the car to check it's condition, mileage, license, VIN and take some photos. He came back complimenting us on the very good condition of the car. (We found it helpful to make a check list of things several days before the turn-in.... sunglasses in the overhead compartment?... flashlight or umbrella in the glove box?.... radio/navigation info cleared? Garage door buttons de-programmed? Stuff like that is easy to forget on the day.

I hope everyone has a good experience as well. Best of luck to everyone and good car shopping in the days ahead.

-2ndPassat
    IMG_4568 (1).jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Nice tips on the cleaning of the car.

3. 2ndPassat

2ndPassat Member

Car:
    Passat TDI SEL Prem. 2012
    We were told by the rep there has already been a lawsuit involved with a guy (who is a dealer) who brought in a stripped down vehicle for buy back... seats, radio, spare tire gone sort of thing... That one ended up in court. I just brought in a really good condition TDI car and VW treated me fairly for it. Now.... onto car shopping... with funds.

p.s. That photo above is our actual 2012 Passat. I always thought this snap could have been in a VW brochure. Taken near San Diego.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017