Does fuel mean injector body leak?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by mgoff5000, Aug 30, 2017.

1. mgoff5000

mgoff5000 Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta 5-spd, 2004 Passat Wagon
    Mods:
    Jetta is on H&R Sport/Koni Yellows, Skid plates on Jetta/Passat, BSD and cam replaced on Passat
    I had a thread going about injector leak but don't know if I was clear in description. I'm getting actual liquid diesel welling up from port in the head. I'd been focusing on the crush washer but read elsewhere that it's very unlikely to get fuel coming back up from that and it's most likely leaking where the retaining nut contacts the nozzle. Does that sound right? If so I'll focus there instead of crush washer seal. Thanks!

2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    They can leak from the pipe up top, the return lines or from the body itself. I've had to take an injector out, clamp it in a vice and tighten the body a bit more to cure a leak. Need a big spanner cause they are really tight things.

If the crush washer isn't doing it's job you're more likely to get a pfft pfft noise as it leaks compression rather than fuel.

3. mgoff5000

mgoff5000 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Jetta is on H&R Sport/Koni Yellows, Skid plates on Jetta/Passat, BSD and cam replaced on Passat
    Ok, it's tightened past "spec" already. I think I'll tear it down, clean and reassemble. No apparent leaks from the easy spots.

4. mgoff5000

mgoff5000 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    OK, I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the injector and that seems to have solved the fuel leak. On to the fun bit now, gotta adjust the IQ stuff and get the Stage 3 tune in there!