Do I have a rain sensor?

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by hegel, Jul 20, 2016.

1. hegel

hegel New Member

Car:
    99.5 jetta & 2015 passat se 6mt
    2015 passat SE 6mt tdi

Going home from work Monday evening a rock came off of a semi truckers load that wasn't covered. it nailed the windshield and is unrepairable. several places are claiming that my car has the rain sensors but I was under the impression that they got rid of the sensors after like 2013 or something. I want to make sure I end up with the correct window... does anyone know where the auto headlight sensor is? maybe its part of that?

thanks,
    Steve

2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    It is an RLS - Rain & Light sensor, and it is located above the rearview mirror at the top center of the glass.

If you have an RLS it looks like this (note the connection from the headliner to the mirror mount, and the larger mount on the glass):
    [​IMG]

If you do NOT have an RLS, it will not have that connection to the roof (for wiring), or the larger window connection. It will just have a small circular connection on the glass that the mirror twists onto.

You can usually also see the actual sensor if you look at the glass; it will have 2 circles or diamonds inside the area where the mirror mounts. If it has no RLS it will just be a smallish (1 inch or so) black circle.

Magnus likes this.
  3. Hans zylstra

Hans zylstra New Member

Car:
    VW Passat
    Mods:
    Rear view mirror
    Look in the meddle of where the mirror mount is glued to the windshield when standing in front of the car. You can see the sensor in the small opening in the meddle of the mount.I would just get the window with the sensor .

4. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Or, as I said above; determine which one you have and get the correct glass. The non-RLS glass has the mirror mount installed on it already; if you order the incorrect one you cannot put your mirror back on...

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    A 2015 Passat should have Rain and Light Sensor (G397) as shown in post #2. If a new windscreen is fitted they normally fit a new Rain and Light Sensor.

There is a fuse 15 10A on the fusebox on the side of the dash, from 2011 on. Other components use this fuse like Heated Rear Window Relay (J9) Heated Windscreen Relay (J47). Go back to the company that fitted the new windscreen.

6. Hans zylstra

Hans zylstra New Member

Car:
    VW Passat
    Mods:
    Rear view mirror
    I have a 2015 Passat Wolfsburg edition and it does not have the rain sensor.
    Read the owners manual and you can find the options installed , according to the manual the vehicle identification label has the options listed, it is a bunch of numbers in the 4 th field at the bottom.But it does not list in the manual what these numbers mean.

7. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    PR Code: #N3 Group: SWS Description: Reactivation of the rain sensor
    PR Code: 8N6 Group: SWS Description: Windshield wiper intermittent control with light/rain sensor
    PR Code: 8N7 Group: SWS Description: Windshield wiper intermittent control with light/rain sensor
    PR Code: 8N3 Group: SWS Description: Windshield wiper intermittent control with rain sensor

As taken from my PR Codes app.

You can find what the PR Codes mean online.

VW/Audi/Seat/Škoda Option Codes Decoder

PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

8. Hans zylstra

Hans zylstra New Member

Car:
    VW Passat
    Mods:
    Rear view mirror
    Thanks for the info, I can not find the options sticker anywhere on the car, not under the hood, not on the door frame, not on the fuel door, not in the trunk and not on the sun visor.
    It has every other useless sticker on it but not the options sticker.It does have a sticker on it with the vin number and a bar code.Is that a new type of a options sticker?

9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I called it the Options Sticker because they are all on there (I will try and change the thread name but that isn't easy). These are the options fitted to the vehicle when it left the factory. The new name is Data Sticker.

Options Sticker and Engine Codes

As the link shows, one half of the sticker is on the first page of the service schedule the other half is on the boot floor next to the spare wheel well.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017