Crankshaft gear removal 1.9 brm

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by donutman, Apr 19, 2017.

1. donutman

donutman Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta 5spd.
    Mods:
    VR6 flywheel --Ross Tech VCDS
    I want to replace the crankshaft seal on my 2006 vw 1.9 brm. I have bought a high mileage timing belt kit and it comes with a new crank seal and bolt.
    I can not get the bolt to break loose even with an impact. The gear keeps turning even with the car in gear. I don't want to wedge a pry bar between the teeth and the cover. I am sure the aluminum cover would crack. Would I be able to use the crank lock pin kit , or would it just bend the pin. And do I need a puller to get the gear off once the bolt is out. Thanks

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    You need a crank yank tool WITH a breaker bar. This counterholds the sprocket. Even still, I have to have the car up high or else I don't have enough leverage. It's really tough. Make sure the car is secure and won't fall off the jackstands or lift. You can buy them here: http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm , about 1/4 down the page. I don't use the OEM VW one because it only holds with 2 bolts, this aftermarket one uses 4 bolts which is much more secure.

Don't use the crank lock tool because it'll cause damage if not just snap. I also wouldn't use an impact because I don't like the idea of shocking the forged crank. Although the metalnerd tool is strong enough for impact duty, I just prefer to not use an impact. Can't remember if you need a puller.

3. donutman

donutman Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta 5spd.
    Mods:
    VR6 flywheel --Ross Tech VCDS
    ok, thanks for the info.