Coolant Leak -- '06 Jetta (EGR Hose?)

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by dano0726, Feb 20, 2011.

1. SUNRISE

SUNRISE New Member

Car:
    jetta/2005.5
    Thanks for the reply, The car has 145000 miles and runs exceptionally well. Have had its share of problems last big one at 100000 miles and that was a major cam shaft failure. The clutch blue up at around 38000 miles, and the waste gate froze and filled the EGR valve with carbon around 68000 miles. Other than that just oil changes. Any suggestions on what to look forward in the future. I do believe in preventive care.

2. jond9001

jond9001 Member

Car:
    2005.5 Jetta tdi, package 0
    Mods:
    VCDS-Rain sensing window closure, windows up/down
    Radiator Leak - 05.5 A5 BRM Jetta

Hey guys,

I'm hoping for a fairly quick response, so if anybody can lend help, I would really appreciate it. I noticed my expansion tank dropping over the course of a couple weeks. I bought some G12, and ran the car, but then I thought about possible EGR cooler failure, and the ramifications of driving the car and risking hydro-lock, head gasket failure, etc. I quit driving the car, and last weekend I crawled under it and found the leak. The radiator had worn through from rubbing against one of the plugs on the fan shroud.

The radiator is currently at a repair shop, but the guy doesn't know if he will be able to repair it due to corrosion. I have been searching auto parts stores and the web, and I can't find a radiator for this car. If facing the windshield while standing in front of the grille, the upper hose is clear at the top right corner of the rad. The lower hose is clear on the bottom left corner. All of the radiators I have been finding have both of the hoses on the left side, or one on the bottom left, and one in the middle, but on the right.

If anybody knows where to find this radiator, please let me know. I want to avoid purchasing from VW if possible, but I have checked Bora, IDParts, PartsPlaceInc., etc.

Thanks,

Jon

3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It's the radiator and not the intercooler right? Rad is 1k0 121 251 and suffix "bl" or "dp" or "am". Your old rad should have the part number stamped on it.

4. jond9001

jond9001 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Chitty

Thanks for the quick response. I used the part number, and I did come up with a couple rad's on ebay that look to match. Do you know of anywhere to find a complete coolant hose kit for this car?

Jon

5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I've never seen one but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or a vendor won't put one together for you

6. jond9001

jond9001 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    The hoses are fairly tough to find! I haven't found an auto parts store who stocks any of the heater hoses, the radiator, or the upper radiator hose. Sendell VW in Greensburg, PA had the heater hoses, but it was a 60 mile round trip to get them. I cheaped out and didn't replace any. I was able to get the rad repaired by a rad shop (braised aluminum where the fan electrical connector wore through it), and I installed it over the weekend. I have driven it a couple of times with no leaks (that I have noticed yet, anyway). I deleted the EGR cooler in the process, and I used a 3/4" nylon barbed 90 degree fitting to connect the coolant hoses that ran to and from the EGR cooler together. I bought some block off plates on ebay for $12, one of which didn't fit on the exhaust. I was able to use the flange from the EGR cooler, make a 1" plug to insert into the original hole, and weld it together. I then turned down one side of it, and tapped the plug with 1/8" npt for an EGT probe in the future. The EGR cooler delete makes a lot more room for the catalytic converter to go back in! While it was off, I cut a hole in the side of it, peeled it back, gutted the insides, and welded it back together. I can hear the turbo cycle at idle now! I also am trying to run the car for a while with the ASV unplugged, as I suspect some lag caused by the valve closing part way while I am trying to accelerate.

I can post pictures of my parts if anybody is interested.

7. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    sure, pics are always fun

8. jond9001

jond9001 Member

Car:
    Mods:
    [​IMG] custom EGR block off plate for BRM exhaust manifold. Made from the EGR cooler exhaust inlet flange, and a custom turned plug.
    [​IMG]
    The back of the BRM with the EGR cooler removed. I used a 3/4" 90 degree barbed fitting (nylon) to connect the two coolant hoses that have silver sheathing on them.
    [​IMG]
    $10 radiator repair
    [​IMG]

9. Kingof4rst

Kingof4rst New Member

Car:
    Jetta tdi 2006
    2006 jetta tdi antifreeze leak

I have a 2006 tdi jetta and have taken it in to a local shop to find a heater hose leaking and they are wanting 770.00 in labor and 400.00 in parts. So I check out this forum tonight and earlier went to vw and ordered all 12 or the possible water hoses costing 400.00 total. Now tomorrow I will attempt to find the heater hoses thanks to this site and replace them. I am sure there can not be 770 in labor. It cost me almost 100 bucks just to have them LOOK at the problem.
    I used some prestone antifreeze when it was low and I was driving home when this happened. I bought some antifreeze from vw and I was not sure if this is going to affect me using these two together? If anyone can tell me otherwise it would be of help. I am sure I bought too many hoses but can atleast have them for any future problems.
    One thing the parts guy at vw told me, that might help everyone here, they go by the vin numbers to get the hoses as there were 4 different types of the same hose for different vin numbers. I found that interesting, vw does not make things easy for guys who like to do their own work!
    Well wish me luck! I will try to post anything I find to help others here!

10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  11. Kingof4rst

Kingof4rst New Member

Car:
    Jetta tdi 2006
    2006 vw jetta tdi 176k miles

Ok today was productive. I replaced the radiator hoses upper and lower. Also the thermostat and new plastic hose ends. Drained and refilled the entire system. I also replaced the 3 hoses in the front under the air filter. Two hoses on top that I believe cool the intake manifold. And finally a hose that ran from under the duo pump to the bottom rear by the exhaust. I have the two heater hoses but did not replace them as they looked ok. So this project took me approximately 7 hrs. Also the mechanic said 770.00 and vw said 1200 in labor. I have basic mechanic skills but I am not a mechanic. I did want to tell everyone that I purchased a special craftsman cable tool to remove these spring loaded hose clamp and was a 35.00. wise investment! Also replace all spring loaded hose clamps with regular nut type. I hope this helps anyone with wanting to attempt this project. I will be taking back 4 of the hoses I did not use. The 12 hoses from vw cost me 425. With tax not sure on how much I will be returning but to guess maybe 100-150. I hope this answers some questions and helps! Kingof4rst

12. JKTRUE

JKTRUE New Member

Car:
    jetta 2006
    2006 jetta

have the same problem with my jetta. can i get the hoses at a local autozone or do i have to go to a dealer?

13. TurbDeece

TurbDeece New Member

Car:
    2005.5 jetta
    I was wondering the same thing as well, I'm honestly not looking to spend ridiculous amounts of money at the dealer.

14. elephanttmann

elephanttmann New Member

Car:
    06 VW Jetta Mk5 1.9L TDI w/ 6-speed DSG
    Hey Chitty, I had a water leak and used the diagram you posted above (post #6) to track down a part #
    On the diagram, hose #18 has a 90 degree elbow near the firewall then just enough hose to cover the long 1" nipple that sticks out of the block.
    The exterior layer of my hose was split right before the hose clamp, possibly strained when removing the filter box a while back.
    It would spray out water which would hit the engine and boil so there was never a puddle under the car,
    just trace amounts of steam coming from the drivers side vents below the wipers when sitting at a traffic light.
    My part # was 1K0122447ED (less than $20, preformed and has a special spacer to prevent engine contact)
    I think this might be the same leak that Dale100 was referring to in post #18.

I removed the 8 or so screws and giant ring clamp from the top cover of the air filter box, removed vacuum line, and removed cover.
    Use a bungee cord to tie back the giant plastic intake hose to passenger hood hinge
    (If you get this out of the way and have small hands or a kid handy,
    you can BARELY use the needle nose pliers to remove the hose clamp and save removing a ton of other junk.
    Please advise, if you use a kid, the ring will not come off without at least 4 cuss words, no way around this, I'm just saying...)

Once you have the replacement hose it's a 1 hour fix, if you had to do it a second time, 30 minutes.
    If you had to do it a 3rd time, get someone else to do it cause you are clearly the problem :)

Thanks guys!

15. JimBas

JimBas New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta Tdi
    I am referring to the excellent description posted by dano0726. My coolant leak is at the bottom hose, the one on the driver's side. Looking at the diagrams, I think it is connected to a metal pipe that runs underneath the engine. I am only on jackstands and I cannot see this pipe. Is it possible to remove it without a lot of dismantling for access? I have cut the hose off, scraped and sanded the pipe and reconnected the hose with a screw clamp. If I wrap a rag around the screw clamp it looks like the leak is not coming from the hose of its connection.
    I was able to order the plier from Lordco in Nanaimo, Performance Tool Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers, $20, KMS, Snap On and KD also sells them.
    I am about to do the timing belt on this car. Am I going to be in over my head?
    All help is greatly appreciated.

Jim
    2006 Jetta TDI 200000km

16. kevhill47

kevhill47 New Member

Car:
    jetta/2006
    Just wanted to let everyone know you can replace everything from the bottom eliminating having to remove hardware from above. Definitely need the remote clamp pliers though. Took me 45 minutes to remove and 30 minutes to instal

17. Zane Luekenga

Zane Luekenga New Member

Car:
    2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (MK5)
    I believe I am having the same issue. Coolant began leaking the other day pretty profusely. I think it my be the EGR hose, but I am not certain. I ended up cleaning the underside of the engine, filling the reservoir with coolant, and starting the car. It appeared that the coolant was running down the bigger hoses on the driver side of the engine. All the coolant lines that were easily visible from the top of the bay all seemed to be sealed and dry. The leak seems to either be coming from these hoses (or hose) that were mentioned by other members, or somewhere above them. But I wouldn't know! Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

PS This happened right after I changed my upstream O2 sensor. I don't think that could have done anything other than maybe the slight increase in power that I gained back? O2 sensor had been bad for awhile. But it seems unlikely.

Here is what I was seeing from underneath:

IMG_5331.JPG

Attached Files:

18. Zane Luekenga

Zane Luekenga New Member

Car:
    Seems that the right hose of those two is leaking, but it looks like the larger hose to the right of that one has even more leakage than anything. The large hose, by the brake cable, has coolant all over it even towards the front of the engine.

19. Zane Luekenga

Zane Luekenga New Member

Car:
    Update on my questions...It was not the EGR hoses nor the hose that runs in between them. Turned out to be the small hose that attaches to the top side of the "y-pipe" that goes from the coolant reservoir to the engine. I couldn't see it from above but I was able to track it using engine coolant dye from an auto parts store. I ended up putting dye in the coolant that I had to refill with as a precaution. So, I would recommend using dye to track the leak before you tear the EGR hoses off and tear into the intake. Of course, many of you may know this but I did not think of it until after the fact.

20. roperdog

roperdog New Member

Car:
    Volkswagen, Jetta, 2006
    I have the EGR/heater hose leak failure at 124k. What is the root cause of this failure? External heat from close-proximity turbo, EGR, manifold, and cat; or, is it from the internal heat from the EGR? I also have oil on the failed hose from a leaky turbo, certainly a contributor. If there is no way to prevent this failure, then I will add it to my 100k timing belt replacement when all of the coolant is dumped from the water pump replacement. Thank you.