Control Arm Bushing Choices Mark V Jetta TDI

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by AirLand&Sea, Oct 18, 2017.

1. AirLand&Sea

AirLand&Sea Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I am preparing to replace front and rear bushings on front control arms on my daily driver 2006 Jetta TDI. I am planning to stick with rubber units due to discomfort of polyurethane but looking for slightly firmer than stock. Are there any differences between the dozens of replacement rubber bushings available? Is it best to stick with genuine VW replacements? I understand the S3 bushings work well with better control and slightly firmer than stock.

2. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  3. AirLand&Sea

AirLand&Sea Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I did a lot of reading......decided NOT to go poly urethane. I did order the S3 solid rubber rear front control arm bushings along with a new set of standard VW rubber bushings for the front as no one appeared to make stiffer than stock rubber units. Also verified with my supplier that the front bushings for front control arm were not stiffer for A3 or S3. I'm going to just replace everything after 175K miles as the car just needs it and I like it enough to hopefully drive it for many more years if I can.

4. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    I did some searching and the Audi TT control arm bushing substitutions may not work on an A5 like they do on an A4.

Describe how the handling is now. I'm at 184K miles and my suspension seems fine to me. Sometimes people get it in their heads just because of the miles that their suspension must be worn out and needs a "refresh". The only things I have done to my suspension is replace the R/H LCA and the ball joint because I bent them.

You did not mention your location. Rust belt cars do suffer from road salts etc and also bad roads would shorten a suspensions useful life.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  5. AirLand&Sea

AirLand&Sea Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Well I can't say about my rear bushings but the front rear control arm bushings on my car are splitting, cracking, and crushed. So I know for sure after inspection (and some odd tire wear) that they are most likely ready for replacement. The car also feels a bit mushy and getting some vibration from drivetrain--so looking into the motor mounts and also verified some cracking in the subframe torque mount bushing.