Constant low power...bad injectors!

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by estergard, Feb 22, 2012.

1. estergard

estergard Member

Car:
    1999 New Beetle TDI
    After installing a 2nd resealed 11mm IP, a 2nd clean Turbo, a new MAF, and cleaning the intake on a rebuilt engine...I ran down the CONSTANT LOW POWER CHECKLIST (in excess of 21 items) twice. Finally, for Peace of Mind, I checked the compression on my CH while installing newly calibrated injectors with 520 nozzles. I got 425 on each cylinder.

When I started the car...everything was off. I had to advance the timing, do a hammer mod to get my IQ up to 3.6 in adaptions group 1, and boost the air in adaptions, group 3. The new nozzles completely fixed ALL CONSTANT LOW POWER ISSUES. The injectors were messing up my timing, air, and fuel pressure. I had NO SMOKE prior to replacing the bad injectors to suspect they were junk! Please consider adding bad injectors to the "CONSTANT LOW POWER" list.

My NEW BEETLE is roasting the tires. I will race any TDI in my area. After driving nothing, but 1-TON DRW Diesel Trucks for the past 4 years, I don't care what you TDI fanatics say...my Gay Beetle is a sports car! I will fight anybody who disagrees. Thank you for all help and suggestions!:nana2:

2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    About time you had that thing running right :D

The bigger nozzles are great though eh? I'm loving my PP764's.
    I need to get some better tyres, these things on there just now are pathetic when trying to get going, they just spin way to much. Anyway they're on the list

3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    OK, so finally the car is running OK? Can you just post a cliffs notes of what led you to the injector problem so I can write something up?

4. estergard

estergard Member

Car:
    1999 New Beetle TDI
    I don't know what a "cliffs notes" is, but if you tell me what it is, and where it is...I will post. I was led to the injectors, simply because they were the ONLY thing I had NOT tried to service! In The Neanderthal Mechanic's Handbook...."process of elimination". Two experienced local TDI mechanics, and the shop that popped my injectors, told me that bad nozzles would ALWAYS put out smoke. I changed them...just to cross them off the list!

5. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    "Cliff notes" were used by those of us that were lazy and or out of time in highschool/college. They were essentially summaries of "classic" books that were required to be read in various classes. They hit the major points and themes of the books without having to spend the time reading the actual book. For the record, I was too cheap to buy the cliff notes, just read the books and called it a day.

6. Tdiian

Tdiian New Member

Car:
    2001 jetta tdi
    Mods:
    Stocker
    I have been battling with my 2001 TDI Jetta for 5 days. Installed a 2004 manual trans and tossed the auto to the curb. I always thought the auto was holding it back but it turns out there was deeper issues. Constant low power. Like there was no boost or very little.
    I went through the forums trying to find the solution. Did all the normal tests. Changed MAF
    Vacuum hoses air cleaner. Had another proper running donor car to test parts from.

It was the injectors!!!

This car only has 125,000miles. I got it at 116,000 from little old lady.

Possibly poor quality fuel, but more likely lack of hard acceleration.

Hope this helps someone.