complete instructions on ac compressor clutch and coil removal

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by almir, Jun 12, 2011.

1. regulatorfix

regulatorfix New Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    stage 1 tune, Panzerplatte, GTI suspension, open exhaust
    BEW (2005 TDI) I removed the alternator (and power steering, but not really needed) and was able to bend the compressor up enough to remove the clutch.
    Now checking my and my friends stash of compressors and hope to find a clutch swap on.

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    ------------2004------------------
    bew still has external clutch.. mk5 go internal

edit as i am not sure what a 05 has

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  3. regulatorfix

regulatorfix New Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    Can I use the clutch from any Mk4 1.8T (Golf, jetta, beetle) or Mk4 diesel? Need to check on the (only 2) local junkyards to find a clutch today:

4. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    no idea... the clutch only fails when the compressor is failing inside causing a load on the clutch... people get pissed after burning up a new one as they did not wanna hear it.. so i only replace whole unit or send them to a hack aka not me not my problem... too difficult to eat a ac clutch, pretty hard on the teeth and 0 netrution.. and i refuse to waste my money or time, have too many times in the past

i know a person in columbus ohio with one off his totaled 04 bew though.. car was hit all sides but fenders forward.. so i doubt the crash hurt it.. but again.. it did do a few 360 into a mail box that took out the other side.. got t boned... i see no reason he would not sell the compressor as he went back to a ve style tdi and only has his in-laws bew now... and he would only buy new for it. but is a 04 and 05 the same?? this was a mk4 body...

in 05 they have both bodies... mk4 wagon, mk5 sedans (gas at lease with the 2.5)... not sure what year wagons got a upgraded body... but by 06 the tdi sedans were mk5...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  5. regulatorfix

regulatorfix New Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    My 2005 BEW is still a Mk4 chasis.

6. regulatorfix

regulatorfix New Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI
    Mods:
    I am picking up a compressor (supposedly all Mk4 gas or diesel use my BEW compressor) at local junkyard in about an hour. I will transfer the clutch over (I have a known good compressor, who knows what junk the one is I get), its easy enough. But mostly, it saves me from cracking open the lines, get evacuated, filled, etc.

7. almir

almir Member

Car:
    2005 jetta tdi gls 1.9
    I replaced just the clutch coil about 5-6 years ago and ac still working as a champ if this helps anyone

8. Brian Gochnauer

Brian Gochnauer New Member

Car:
    jetta
    my compressor clutch engages but i think it is not turning the compressor. Is that even likely???
    When not engaged the clutch plate (no not the pulley/belt) turns with only slight resistance, seems like it should turn with considerable resistance.
    I have no other Vdubs to check this theory.
    Do I need a new compressor?

9. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    It should not have too much resistance... just a bit of "pulling"... what model / year car is this?

10. Brian Gochnauer

Brian Gochnauer New Member

Car:
    jetta
    2001 Jetta

With the clutch engage it will not build pressure the A/C gauge set needles don't move on the high or low side; both are at 70-80 psi. No idea what problem could be