Cold Weather Tip

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Tornado Red, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Tornado Red

Tornado Red New Member

Car:
    2001 Jetta TDI
    I own an MK4 Jetta, but I think this could apply to other models as well. I live in Winnipeg, Canada so this is for people who live in similar cold weather climates like mine. I have owned a 1991 diesel and traded up to the 2001 one I have now. Cold weather starting with the VW diesels I've owned has always been easy...as long as you have the battery power. At -35c the battery is down to about 15-20% of full. Turn on the key to activate the glow plugs and poof, there goes the rest of the battery power leaving little to nothing to turn the engine over. To counteract this, for years I'd run a "battey blanket" that surrounded the battery and plugged in to ac (80 watts). As you can imagine, it's difficult to apply and still maintain the battery cover. Last year I decided to drop this in favour of a small battery maintainer (2 amp) normally used to keep up batteries in off season vehicles like motor cycles, ATVs, snow mobiles, etc. The cost was $19 and came with several different hook ups. I used the ones that connect straight to the battery cables, hopefully you can tell in the pics. I mounted the charger to the firewall area, and the ac plug "Y"s into a cord where my oil pan heater also connects so I just have one cord to plug into a receptacle. Obviously this is for places you park that have ac for winter plug ins. It worked absolutely great all last winter keeping the battery maintained through the day at work, or at night at home. Lots of power for starting everytime. Thanks for reading, hope someone gets some use out of this post.

Attached Files:

2. Cogen Man

Cogen Man Active Member

Car:
    Golf TDI/2011
    Mods:
    Window tint, window vent visors, ScanGauge II.
    A good tip for us cold weather folks. Thanks.

3. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Cold weather is nothing to take lightly. I remember years ago, up on the North Slope, in the winter, they would never turn the engines off because if they did for very long the oil would get so thick that the engines couldn't be restarted.

4. Tornado Red

Tornado Red New Member

Car:
    2001 Jetta TDI
    Now THAT'S cold...

5. Jettadoor

Jettadoor New Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2000; TD 1.6 1990
    Excellent idea, Tornado! I think it gets even colder chez vous than here in quebec but I have often taken my charger out to plug on the battery when I go to plug in the coolant heater. In less than an hour I am good to go and have good cranking speed.

I like the coolant heater more than an oil heater because the heat goes straight to the cylinder head which helps compression on starting; the glow plug light is barely on more than a second or two which takes less out of the battery. I also have heat inside the car fairly quickly. I think an oil heater would be good for the engine when it is really cold and may fit one for next winter.

My old boss told tales of lighting fires under the oil pan to thaw out frozen equipment way back when; with that in mind I always have a can of solid camping fuel in the car during the winter which I would only use in case of emergency on a clean oil pan.

At -35 I would rather my car not start, some of the roads are a bit bumpy round here and you have about the same suspension travel as a go-kart!

6. turbouhrich

turbouhrich New Member

Car:
    I splice half a extension cord into the block heater, and bring it in through the firewall, and have a little space heater inside the car, so that not only is your block warm, but your interior is warm and your windows are unthawed as well...

7. oldval225

oldval225 Member

Car:
    Golf 2008 1.9 tdi
    We have the opposite problem here in Australia - getting into a car so hot, you can't touch the steering wheel or sit on the seat with shorts on, for fear of getting burned... At least we can start the car, set the a/c to full and stand outside for a few minutes, then we're good to go.
    I feel sorry for you guys eh!

8. Tornado Red

Tornado Red New Member

Car:
    2001 Jetta TDI
    Another popular item here in winter is the remote starter, where your car is started from a button on your key chain. Keep your heater and fan on, then start your car from the comfort of inside at work or home and let it warm up. No reason this wouldn't work great for you folks in Australia too for the opposite reason...

9. Dieselj2

Dieselj2 New Member

Car:
    2009 jetta tdi
    For the charge mounted to the firewall, is this with hardware or would using zapstraps be sufficient?
    Also, to have just one cord to plug in I would have to cut cord and splice it myself into the block heater cord? Would this affect ampage/power to the block heater.
    Thanks for any help on this