Clearing faults on VW diesel Jetta (2008)

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by Ron9644, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Ron9644

Ron9644 New Member

Car:
    Volkswagon Jetta 2008
    Has anyone bought the cable and program from Ross-tech? Does the program work reliably?
    I have lost power to my cigarette lighter and windscreen washers plus I am getting a message to say that there is an airbag fault.
    I need to clear this.
    Any helpful suggestions?

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    FYI, you posted in site suggestions. I have moved your post to the VCDS section under the general forum.

Yes it works reliably. Great support, and although it's expensive, the software license follows the cable so it's cheaper than going to a mechanic if you ever decide to resell it.

Ron9644 likes this.
  3. Ron9644

Ron9644 New Member

Car:
    Volkswagon Jetta 2008
    Sorry for the confusion. Tanks for your reply and fix.

4. Ron9644

Ron9644 New Member

Car:
    Volkswagon Jetta 2008
    Does anyone know of a comparable product at a cheaper cost?

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Unfortunately there is none. There are generic cables on ebay but they will not work with the current software and are very limited in function. The power to your cig lighter probably can't be solved by VCDS since this sounds more like a hardware electrical problem. The source of the airbag light will definitely be found with VCDS but if the underlying fault isn't fixed, any generic tool that turns the light off will turn it off...but it'll just turn back on until fixed.

6. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum Ron. welcometomyturbodies

The common thing with the cigarette lighter is the fuse. I don't have a fuse diagram for a 2008 Jetta only a 2006 but it doesn't show a fuse in that PDF only
    U1 - Cigarette lighter, U9 - Rear cigarette lighter from diagram. Just check ALL fuses.

As for these cheap EODB II scanners, as Chitty says there are generic which means general they will fit anything with an EODB socket but they are very misleading in what is shown. There is only one VAG tool worth buying thats a genuine VCDS cable to buy and I don't mean the cheap Chinese cloned cables of fleabay.

Can you post the error codes your getting?

7. Ron9644

Ron9644 New Member

Car:
    Volkswagon Jetta 2008
    Thanks for your detailed reply.
    The code I have that worries me is that for the air bag light. Comes on every start-up as you will know. I was worried about the VCDS as it said in the documentation that it may not work on cars from other countries. I am in Australia.
    The cigarette problem is just that it does not work for a plug in of GPS etc. At the same time, the windscreen washers stopped working and I am concerned that they may be the same fuse. I have checked all fuses by my system, removed and remounted them. No visual signs and only a slight load across the tips of the fuse.