Chevy Cruze diesel sales vs VW Jetta TDI

Discussion in '2014+ Chevy Cruze diesel forum and club' started by chittychittybangbang, Aug 1, 2014.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Part of this is the lower numbers of Cruze diesel that Chevy has produced but I'm mystified why the Cruze diesel hasn't sold better. About 6,000 Cruze diesels were sold in the last year, 2% of Cruze sales. Jetta TDI sold in the last year totaled about 46,000 and has been a much larger percentage of Jetta sales. I'm not sure if they counted Jetta Sportwagen but even still..

Mpg and power are about the same.
    Looks are subjective.
    The Jetta has the option of DSG or manual, the Cruze has automatic only.
    Jetta has bigger back seat.
    Cruze has higher trim level at the same price.
    Cruze uses older design HPFP and is louder but may be more reliable.

I think it's kind of a wash and pricing is also about the same.

2. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    It may have been 35+ years since those crappy GM diesels, but, people have not forgotten. Even with the decent duramax, there is certainly an element of "once burnt, twice shy".

3. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    I'm sure the recent bad press isn't helping GM car sales.

They thoroughly mishandled the ignition switch issue.

I'm not talking about the fact that some are unsafe, but that the fixed switches have the same P/N and look exactly like the bad ones.

4. FowVay

FowVay New Member

Car:
    2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
    The Cruze is an incomplete package. No spare tire, no manual option, no wagon option... are we to truly consider it a competitor to the Volkswagen?

And a blue zillion recalls hasn't helped sales of anything with a GM badge on it.

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Active Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    Mods:
    LED's for DRL's, front turn signals, tail and brake lights.
    If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Jetta. It's larger, and even though lower power and torque, same performance. If GM wants to get serious about diesels and up their corporate mpg's, they should put the diesel in the Malibu and Impala.

claude wallace likes this.
  6. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    At the end of the day, the Cruze is still a Chevy. After my 97 Cavalier, I will never buy another Chevy again. It's just unbelievable that GM would unleash such garbage on the American public.

Sure, at 3 miles the Chevy Cruze might be comparable, but what about after a few miles?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    Dan Thompson likes this.
  7. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Manufacturing 101. You ALWAYS roll the P/N when you make changes to a part. It's unbelievable that the redesigned switch has the same P/N as the old switch. Way to go GM. What little credibility you had, just went into the crapper.

lwt42 likes this.
  8. ALT 10000'

ALT 10000' New Member

Car:
    VW, Jetta,'04 BEW
    Mods:
    Chipped
    I'm wondering about Mazda's diesel! Hope the U.S. will see it.

9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Didn't Bosch make changes to the HPFP without any change in the VW part number? Just sayin....

10. mrrogers1

mrrogers1 Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2009
    Mods:
    Rocket Chip CRD 1
    Aw, there isn't anything wrong with those HPFP's. ;)

11. jhinsc

jhinsc Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    I was so hoping the Mazda 6 diesel was going to be out this time around. I test drove the regular Mazda 6 with it's iloop tech, but wasn't impressed. But before I bought my 2013 Prius v, I test drove and was impressed with the Passat TDI but decided the Prius v was more versatile. It was more convenient when traveling with the dog. But a severe rear-end collision ended it's short life and safety research led me back to the Passat TDI, which now sits in my garage!

12. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The Mazda 6 was supposed to be out by now. The official word is that they felt it didn't have enough zoom zoom. I'm not kidding. Who cares, it's a diesel - I expect it to be slow and I'd rather have a slow car with plenty of torque than a faster car with lower mpg. The unoffical word is that they're having trouble meeting emissions. I believe they wanted to avoid using diesel exhaust fluid. If they did they would have probably released it by now.

jhinsc likes this.
  13. jhinsc

jhinsc Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    I feel the same - at least my Passat TDI is quicker than my previous hybrid! Just got back from Europe and got to ride in a Mercedes Bluetec Hybrid taxi - very cool! Other non diesel hybrid also have auto stop/start, something I wish I had. I'm not used to watching my average trip mpg go down while waiting at a light!

14. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    IDK about the particulars, but if Bosch didn't roll the P/N, shame on them. It would be strange, because VW seems to always roll part numbers when parts change.

I don't think I have ever bought a VW part that didn't have a different P/N than the original.

15. cruzesmart

cruzesmart New Member

Car:
    2014 Chevy Cruze diesel
    Give GM a little time, the word will get out. Just took delivery and I am impressed! This car is awesome! I have owned a number of diesels including MB, VW, GM, Smart and now GM Cruze. Have put about 500,000 miles on diesels, not a lot but sold me on diesels in general. I have obtained better mileage on a hyper-mileage test on the Cruze than I got on the Smart. The Cruze is leaps and bounds ahead of the Smart which is no longer imported to Canada. I hope GM doesn't try to empty my bank when I take it in for service. I have done most of the service myself over the years because of dealers trying to rip me off for unnecessary "service, parts, top ups and don't forget shop supplies ". So we will see! I'm interested in any problems that the whole vehicle presents.

Canadian Cruzer likes this.
  16. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    It doesn't help that Chevy doesn't really advertise these and doesn't have a following yet. The VWs were a niche car until the 2009 models when they really cranked out the production numbers and had the sportwagen. I said it in my review and I still believe it - a Chevy Cruze wagon diesel or Impala diesel would be a very strong alternative to the Sportwagen or Passat TDI.

Part of the issue is development costs. I think the only major change was the emissions system vs. the European Cruze. But they should still get the word out. I never saw even a mention of TDI on TV until the 2009 models. I've never seen a Cruze diesel ad on TV.

17. Ol'Rattler

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    And if VW's past dismal service on TDI's in NA is any indication, it will not be long before Chevy techs without a clue will be destroying Cruse Diesels. "What da ya mean I can't use starting fluid on a Diesel? I've always had good lock with starting fluid on gas engines."

You have to figure that with the Cruze Diesels being 2% of the Cruze fleet, there will be close to zero techs that know how to work on them without causing severe damage.

Kinda sad, really. I think Chevy will fumble this in a big way so that a lot of folks will be turned off on Diesels forever.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  18. Canadian Cruzer

Canadian Cruzer New Member

Car:
    2014 Cruze 2.0 tdi
    I,ve had Cruze TDI for 6 months and 8000 miles, and I love it for 3 reasons, quietness, torque( 280 lbs-ft), and mileage. Having owned 52 new cars in my lifetime I would put this one in the top five.

19. cruzesmart

cruzesmart New Member

Car:
    2014 Chevy Cruze diesel
    Now past 3 months and 8, ooo. No problems, mileage is 4.2L/100km or on the real scale 60-65mpg. I have been looking for used Cruze diesels but haven't found any. I draw from that, that owners must be happy or they would be dumping them. I also realize they have only been on the market for one model year in North America. So I will keep an open mind, and will not make any negative comments about other makes.

20. Bryan Belman

Bryan Belman New Member

Car:
    04 Jetta Wagon TDI, 04 Golf TDI, 82 Vanagon 1.9TD
    I am new to this group.
    Can you tell me who is making the diesel engine for the Chevy Cruze, I very much dough they are making it in the states. My 04 TDI BEW motor is made in Poland, so who is making the engine for this car and where?
    I guess HPFP means it uses a regular injection pump, not the unit injectors like on the BEW motor ?? sorry, don't know that acronym.
    Thanks.