Can't get it to start - Seat Leon TDI

Discussion in 'SEAT and Škoda TDI' started by verbal_kint, Jul 4, 2016.

1. verbal_kint

verbal_kint New Member

Car:
    Seat Leon 1.9 tdi 2001
    After a "professional" screwed a head gasket replacement up and denied liability I have been working on this over to last year to get it going again, it has become a project and "I will not be defeated" car fo me now.

After the idiot had worked on it I later found that the engine smoke and power issues were down to none of the intake and exhaust and other bolts being installed correctly, some I undid by hand. In the course of re-doing the work I found the No.2 valve lobe had worn through the seat so I got a new head, replaced the gasket and very slowly put it all back together using the guide here.

Unfortunately it refuses to start, I have so much invested in this I am loathe to give up on it but need some focus to help me work through the problem. Bear in mind that it is best part of a year since it last ran. I have tried vag-com but no errors show, which could be down to not running,

I know not much is needed to get it going - Compression, fuel, timing but where should I begin. I have used a vacuum tester to pull fuel through both sides of the filter and also replace the filter.

What next, undo a plug, try to start and see if any gets ejected?

It's the 1.9tdi, 2001, non PD ALH unit.

2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Loosen the injector pipes on the tops of the injectors then crank it, make sure fuel is coming through, close each one as fuel comes through.

Also make sure the glow plug light comes on when you switch on the ignition, if not then try the relay 109,quite common.

The chances are the injection timing wont be bang on but it should still fire up as long as the ecu is switching on and there's fuel getting through. Relay 109 is the main power relay for the ecu.

Last time I dealt with a tdi that hadn't been running for a long long time I set up like an IV line to the pump and gravity fed it, got fuel to the injectors then eventually it fired into life. Once it had been started it fired up no bother every time, just that initial start can be a bit harder.

3. verbal_kint

verbal_kint New Member

Car:
    Seat Leon 1.9 tdi 2001
    Thanks for the reply. What might be an issue there is that the idiot mechanic couldn't get it to start correctly, kept giving it back to him and eventually he took out a relay (think it was 109) and wired in "the land rover fix" as he called it, basically an aftermarket timer with which the glow duration could be extended. I keep an eye on a small led light routed to poke out just above the steering column. Perhaps if he'd checked his torque settings he would have found why it had such poor starting.
    The battery is on charge but later today I'll run that exercise. I hope the timing is ok, I tried to be very careful in keeping the pump sprocket in place, used the drill bit to hold it there until the end of the rebuild.

4. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    Sounds like he's messed with the glow plug relay, no need though as the glow plugs only come on when it's really cold. The glow plug light on the dash is more to tell you it's all ok and ready to go.

109 is nothing to do with the glow plugs, just the ecu

Poor starting is more likely the injection timing being retarded or a bad starter motor or fuel is running back to the tank due to a tiny air leak in the fuel system somewhere.

Magnus likes this.
  5. verbal_kint

verbal_kint New Member

Car:
    Seat Leon 1.9 tdi 2001
    It was the glow plug relay he replaced and the light was to replace the need to watch the normal one on the dash. I just know it was totally unnecessary and he was too lazy to check the timing, fuel supply etc. The starting was never an issue until he did the work. Sad thing is he teaches motor vehicle students at the college I work at.

I undid the fuel connectors and cranked it, nothing came through on any.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  6. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    Ok so that's kinda good, it means you're not getting fuel so at least you know where to look. I reckon it's most likely air in the system still.

I'd start by removing the clip and pulling the return thing out of the top of the fuel filter, see if it's full of fuel. If not you could try filling it first.
    You basically need the pump full before it'll fire, some use a vac pump to try and pull the fuel through but I like the IV method myself lol. Looks nuts but it works a treat!

I took a coke bottle, thoroughly cleaned it, made a hole in the lid to take a brake pipe, stuck that into a rubber pipe which I then join ed to the fuel intake then let gravity do it's thing

[​IMG]

7. verbal_kint

verbal_kint New Member

Car:
    Seat Leon 1.9 tdi 2001
    It is only RUNNING!!!

So many thanks Seatman. I have a vacuum pump so gradually pulled enough through. I also think I didn't help the problem by not pre-filling the new filter. Doh!

I had to get the other Leon to help the poor battery but eventually each injector was getting fuel and it fired up.

Pleased as Punch and now starts the job of getting it moving, a year sat around and rust is all over the brake discs.

Once again Many thanks.

Seatman likes this.
  8. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    Well you should have enough torque to get it moving now at least lol

9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    offtopic

I don't have much info on Seat models only 5P1212 Altea 1.9 TDI with BXE, CAXC with gearbox codes HNV, JCX - 5S and 1M15Q4 Leon 1.9 TDI with CAXC and gearbox code JCX. If you want to post your Sales Model/Type Code that would be great?

10. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:

Ahem :D