Can a VW dealer update my TDI's engine control software without me knowing?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by n-heptane, Feb 22, 2017.

1. n-heptane

n-heptane New Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI
    Hello,

My 2011 Golf TDI has been throwing the OBD code P047F -- "Exhaust Pressure Control Valve: Stuck Open" for some time now. I understand that the exhaust pressure control valve or “flap” on these cars was not exactly designed the best and often sees issues with being stuck open and/or closed. I know that VW offers an extended warranty (http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/VWP1305_Engine_Exhaust_Flap_Limited_Warranty_Exension_2.pdf) to replace these issue-prone exhaust flaps with new ones. Given that I don’t presently have access to the tools and work space to fix it myself, I think I’d like to take advantage of this extended warranty and have VW replace the exhaust flap, mostly because I don’t want the malfunctioning flap to cause any engine damage.

My only concern: Though I’m pretty sure this fix shouldn’t require any modification to my engine control module’s software, getting this fix done still gives the dealer access to my car’s OBD port and ECM, and I’m unsure if the dealer may (under pressure from the EPA, etc.) try to install new ECM software to lower emissions at the expense of reducing fuel economy. Is this something I have any legitimate reason to be concerned about? Can a dealer update my ECM’s software without me knowing? As I recall, one such update, for some models, included "ECM Software Update REPAIR NEEDED" VW Action Code "23O6,” but to my knowledge, my car never had this done. Note, I don’t have any aftermarket tune, so at least that shouldn’t pose any issues for the dealer. One solution I’ve considered: block off my car’s OBD port… problem is, the dealer needs to access the OBD port to verify what code is being thrown.

Thanks in advance.

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    If you tell them to not install any flash, they shouldn't. However, if they did, you wouldn't know.

3. mrblah

mrblah Member

Car:
    VW JSW 2014 TDI 6sp
    There could be a directive to not do any work on any TDI unless the owner accepts the eventual reflash to satisfy the EPA. Then you'd be straight out of luck.

I'd be curious if the dealers will have the directive to check ALL TDI when they get in the door for any "non-EPA" software in the ECM and reflash accordingly...

that would be very annoying...

4. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Put a zip tie over the OBDII plug. ;)

5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    As the title says Can a VW dealer update my TDI's engine control software without me knowing?

I would say no you can't tell if the any software has been updated without VW equipment.

VAG Error Code: 001151

EOBD II Error Code: P047F

Fault Location:
    Exhaust Pressure Control Valve - Valve Stuck Open
    Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Fuse(s).
    Wiring/Connector(s).
    Exhaust Valve Control Module (J883) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Fuse(s).
    Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
    Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
    Check/Replace Exhaust Valve Control Module (J883).
    Perform Output Test/Basic Setting/Adaptation when applicable.

Special Notes:
    When found in VW Golf/Jetta (1K): 2.0l CR-TDI (CBEA/CJAA):
    This Fault Code may show up in combination or shortly after flashing the Engine Control Module.
    Verify the mechanical part of the Exhaust Valve Control Module (J883) is not seized or binding. Water in the exhaust system causes the flap motor to rust at the pivot points and these replacement modules have been revised several times in the parts catalogue.
    Most of these North American Region (NAR) CR-TDI engines support Basic Settings of the J883 component and this is advised after replacement. When connected to the vehicle with VCDS select the applicable basic settings from the menu with the vehicle at idle, click GO and On/Off/Next. The self test may take up to two minutes to complete and registered customers can email us directly for further Information.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software