BRM Rough smokey cold starts

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by diesen, Feb 18, 2014.

1. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    I picked up an 2006 back in June to be my mileage mule as I wanted to keep the heavy mileage off my 2012 which is actually my first diesel. One of the first things i noticed was that on a cold start (in the summer 20 to 30C) there was a significant plumage of whitish smoke. Although embarassing and smelly I didn't do anything to address the problem. Come fall as the temps dropped (say 6C) it not only smoked but had a few seconds of rough idle. Now in the dead of this Canadian winter (-20 to -30C) I can hardly get it started, some times two or three attemps including several glow plug cycles. Once it actually fires its super rough, barely idling (not sure why it doesn't through a CEL) and super smoky. The idle does smooth out after a few minutes going from hardly running, then dynamic idle kicking in sounding like a bit of a mis, then nearly as smooth as my 2012 all the while smoke disipating as it improves.

I don't have a lot of history on the car. I know the engine isn't original, EGR cooler has been deleted and I just swapped the turbo as it was stuck.

Any help here would be appreciated. I don't have any diagnostic equipment and I don't really want to needlessly through all kinds of parts at it.

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    A small puff of smoke on PD is considered normal. Rough idle is not.

Check timing and camshaft torsion, see mk5 FAQ list, near top is the article. Should not be related to EGR cooler.

3. Cenko10

Cenko10 New Member

Car:
    Passat 2005
    I have an '05 passat and on really cold nights -20 degrees celsius it will emit quite a bit of smoke for the first few seconds. The engine also knocks during this time but after about a minute or so it will run normally. I'm guessing this is just due to the really cold weather. How old are your glow plugs? A can of diesel purge might do it good. My car had a pretty bad misfire and diesel purge has helped a lot with that issue. One of my injectors still isn't 100% though.

4. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    Thanks Chitty, the timing was checked back in September and adjusted from 4.5 to 0.5kw. Then rechecked a month or so later and confirmed still at 0.5kw. I don't see the FAQ on timing and camshaft torsion. I must have missed it. Can you point me to it?

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  6. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    Turns out my BRM car has a BEW engine with ALH glow plugs in it. Thats a whole lot of trouble. Surprised it works as good as it does which isn't that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk