BRM Replacement

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by diesen, Mar 19, 2017.

1. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    I've got a 2006 Jetta TDI 5spd sedan with a BEW in it. I'm looking to swap it out for a BRM. I may have an engine available from the same car with a DSG. Does this present any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    welcometomyturbodies

Is this a mk4 Jetta or mk5 Jettta? I can't tell from your profile picture.

If it's a mk5, can you take some pics? I've never seen a BEW in mk5.

diesen likes this.
  3. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    Yes it's a BEW in a MK5. Here's some pics. Your looking at BEW engine with a BRM valve cover on it. The engine has it's BEW oil filter housing and dipstick with the BRM intake and turbo on the back. Note the BEW crank sensor wire cut in one pic and the BRM crank sensor passing through a hole cut in the block. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  4. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 01/2005-04/2007, Model: Jetta, Engine Code: BRM, 74Kw, 103PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls , Remarks: Canada ("CDN"), USA ("USA"): Turbocharged Direct Injection Pumpe Düse (TDI-PD)
    Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 07/2003-01/2005, Model: Jetta, Engine Code: BEW, 74Kw, 100PS, 1.9 Ltr, 4 Cyls , Remarks: USA ("USA"): Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI)

They are fitted to other models Beetle, Bora and Golf.

As taken from my new VAG Engine & Transmission Codes

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Huh, that's the only one I've seen. I thought they were a myth! What does the timing belt cover sticker say?

6. diesen

diesen New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
    Mods:
    EGR delete
    BEW

chittychittybangbang likes this.
  7. markwd1

markwd1 New Member

Car:
    2006 vw jetta tdi
    original post in newbee forum:
    hello all I recently purchased a 2006 vw jetta tdi from the junk yard. it had a valve drop in the #2 cylinder due to worn cam / lifters had holes in a few of them w/ a piece of the valve sticking out of the head. surprisingly the cylinder wall only had two slight nicks in it so I got a new / used piston and rod, and a new / used head w/ cam and valves that fit right on my block. there is one difference. the openings on the head for the intake are the split type openings (vertical piece of metal in each opening) my original head doesn't have these and my intake manifold isn't a split opening. I know I am close to top dead center because I had cylinders 1 & 4 up when putting the head on, and the head was at top dead center. I cranked the engine by hand probably fourteen times and never felt any resistance of valve / piston contact I am waiting on the timing tool to be shipped now because I tried to start it and it cranked fine w/ no noticeable clicking but wouldn't start. is the head / cam compatible with my block? any info would be appreciated thanks.
    REPLY:
    sounds like a bew head (2004).. the split is for the egr.. no idea if you can do that.. but it only requires a drill bit for the cam lock.. crank lock is nice.. but its got a line/pointer... so not needed as ya can fudge it via lining up pointer
    does the intank fuel pump run pushing fuel to the tandom pump?? no fuel.. no fire..
    Golden rule is to use the same parts on the engine as it left the factory with otherwise your gonna see some problems.
    Ideally you want the same part number head that fits your engine code.

my reply to them:
    sorry it took a min I was out of town yeah the pump is pushing fuel I even took off return line to check for prime / air in line thanks for the reply and yeah vwman the part number of the head was exactly the same except the last letter one was an "r" and the other was an "a" I believe I asked that question from the one I purchased from and he said it was ok. the holes and everything matched right up with my block.

my motor looks exactly like the previous pics I do believe it should work as I said no valve piston contact and the head fits. any other known probs?

8. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    The problem with 4 figure codes they miss the last character off the timing belt sticker, mine say CBB, which is stupid.