BRM Interior Exhaust Smell

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by strong_like_tractor, Mar 11, 2017.

1. strong_like_tractor

strong_like_tractor New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I picked up an 06 Jetta BRM a couple of weeks ago with 80k on it. Today was the first time taking it on an extended drive. Usually my commute is around 10-15 minutes and I notice a little exhaust smell all the time; however on today's drive of around 40 minutes each way there was a strong exhaust smell in the car until the car had warmed up to above 90C.

I'm suspecting there is a leak in the EGR system or in the exhaust somewhere.

Thanks
    JP

2. strong_like_tractor

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    This afternoon we made the same drive again (soccer tournament) and similar symptoms. To add to this after 30 minutes of continuous highway driving I stopped at a red light and the motor had a very noticeable shake or pulsing, the rpm was constant though.

3. strong_like_tractor

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Had a further look at things between rain showers and the air filter is pretty sooty - looks like someone flipped it 180 deg at some point. There is also some oily sooty residue on what looks like a heat shield on the back of the motor. This car was a salvage so there is no history on it.

Attached Files:

4. baisley

baisley New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Look at the EGR cooler. There is a flap that leaks on these and will cause exhaust leak in the engine bay, that will come into the passenger compartment.

5. strong_like_tractor

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    That's what I was thinking. Hopefully my work neighbor will have some time to throw it on the hoist today and I can have a better look.

6. baisley

baisley New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    If it is the cooler, there are a few ways to solve it. You can do a delete, which will cause an Cel light unless u have it tuned out. you can also weld it up (That is what i am going to do next) or you can use an epoxy (Few threads on TDI Forum cover this process)