Bosal towbar with detachable hitch for MK4 Golf/Jetta - $300 + shipping

Discussion in 'Diesel parts' started by Fred Meissner, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Fred Meissner

Fred Meissner New Member

Car:
    2003 VW Jetta TDI 1.9L ALH, 2003 VW Golf TDI 1.9L ALH
    Price update: $200 + shipping

This is the European towbar and hitch that replaces the North American 5-mph bumper. My girlfriend bought a 2003 Golf TDI that came with this installed, but decided she didn't want or need to tow things. After toying with the idea of installing it on my Jetta wagon because it's Very Euro and I might have to tow something once or twice, I've decided to just sell it to someone who will actually use it. Or also wants it because it's cool, I don't care.

[​IMG]

Itemized list of components and some notes on each.
    • Tow bar - Has some rust on the ends that is peeling away the paint. Not pretty, but you would never see this once it's installed and I don't think it's a problem; rugged is not a strong enough word to describe this towbar.
    • Hitch with key - The ball diameter is 50mm, which is about 2". This is in great condition.
    • Mounting screws (4) - Threads are fine, but the heads are pretty beat, buyer may want to replace these with some fresher hardware.
    • U-Haul module for trailer lights.
    • Handy-dandy gloves for installation (don't want to get your hands dirty!).
    • User manual in many languages.
    • Sales receipt from Towbars & Trailers Davian Works in the UK (http://www.towitall.co.uk/). Original cost in 2004 was ~$475 (would be ~$600 in 2016) including shipping and VAT.
    • German-language maximum tongue weight of 75 kg sticker, Very Euro.
    Here are some pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dPgn-mno3Jc1V3dU01MzRndXc

More information on the system as well as a good installation guide from Kennedy: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=60842

Buyer will pay the shipping cost. I am located in southern New Hampshire, so if you are remotely close (within 100 miles) I would consider meeting you halfway.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    mu2bdriver likes this.
  2. Fred Meissner

Fred Meissner New Member

Car:
  3. Beer

Beer New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta MkIV TDi
    Mods:
    Working on: PP520 injectors, 2.5" IDParts turbo back exhaust, G60 clutch, Malone stage III tune, Sigma5 shifter, Panzer skid, rear towing coilovers
    Does it have rings for safety chains?

They are much cheaper currently.
    If you would take half your asking price, I'd be willing to meet up somewhere to get it (I'm in the Northampton/Amherst MA area).

4. Fred Meissner

Fred Meissner New Member

Car:
    It seems to have one ring for a chain, though honestly I don't what you could even tow with a Golf/Jetta that would really require it. I can look at it when I get home to verify!

With regards to your comment about them being much cheaper currently, could you send some examples of Bosal towbars for sale in the USA? I was hard pressed to find any examples to base my price off, so I am aware it could be inaccurate. Any proof would be appreciated!

I will actually be heading to your area sometime in the coming month or so to visit my girlfriend's grandmother (Springfield, MA).

5. Beer

Beer New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta MkIV TDi
    Mods:
    Working on: PP520 injectors, 2.5" IDParts turbo back exhaust, G60 clutch, Malone stage III tune, Sigma5 shifter, Panzer skid, rear towing coilovers
    I'm planning on being on the road with my travel trailer by the end of next week. I've got a hitch on the Jetta now. I really wanted the Bosal, but couldn't get one in time to make the trip to pick up the trailer.

ID parts sells it for $329 with $5 shipping.

6. Fred Meissner

Fred Meissner New Member

Car:
    Alright then, meet halfway somewhere sounds good to me, I'll do $200. I can meet anytime that works for you.

7. Beer

Beer New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta MkIV TDi
    Mods:
    Sorry, $200 is too much for me. I would need to strip that down to bare metal and recoat it.

You didn't mention anything about keys. Do you have the keys for the swan neck?

By the way, most states require any trailer to have safety chains regardless of size or weight. Can't remember what the federal requirement is, if there is one. They have definately saved me with poorly maintained trailers at work. Had the coupler pop off the ball a few times on the highway.

8. CaseyJ

CaseyJ New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
    Interested, how much including shipping to 98345?

9. Fred Meissner

Fred Meissner New Member

Car:
    I would do $270 including shipping.

10. Bbelty

Bbelty New Member

Car:
    B5.5
    Still for sale?