blow by from oil filler port

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by spectre, Oct 22, 2017.

1. spectre

spectre Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    My 2006 vw jetta tdi brm engine has quite a loud blow by when you take the oil filler cap off while the engine is running I am hoping this is normal but I just don't know.

2. Peca

Peca Member

Car:
    Passat b6, 2007, 103 KW
    This is absolutely normal for all TDI PD engines do not worry about it.

3. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Why were you removing the oil cap with the engine running? Do you have high oil consumption?

4. spectre

spectre Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    No I do not have high oil consumption I have been trying to trouble shoot a cel maf bad ckt A for 2 months. I had to stop taking it to the dealer because all the parts that were replaced, egr cooler,egr valve, n75 valve ,maf sensor,intake manifold cleaned,also the cam and lifters were changed no fix the cel is still there the dealers tester said that the map sensor in the ecm is bad and to replace the ecm, I am going to replace the g31 charge sensor as it is much cheaper to try that before changing the ecm so I am doing all I know try and troubleshoot as I have lost all faith in the vw diagnostic equipment I had thought that may be the head gasket was blown there were no signs in the water tank so I thought of looking at the oil cap for water drops or steam coming out none showing as it would be on a gas engine,no water in oil either I have read that the turbo could be bad but the car runs too well for it to be that so to me the only things left are the exhaust blocked and the ecm and I am very skeptical that this will cure the problem. The real problem beside the cel is the mpg dropped to 26 mpg when the lite came on I was getting 44 mpg hi way 34 town.

5. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    You are throwing parts at a yet unknown problem. We need at least the readout of the error codes of the engine control unit. We even do not know whether the MIL is on permanently or appears during driving.

6. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    I only asked because sometimes people will remove the oil cap when engine is running, see oil vapor that is normal for a TDI and think they need to rebuild their engine.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no MAP sensor inside the ECU. The MAP sensor is located on the charge air pipe just before the radiator.

IDK for sure, but there may be a barometric (atmospheric pressure) sensor inside the ECU.

What are the codes by code number that are being set and turning on the check engine light?

7. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Yeah, I completely agree with audi1z. You need to stop just throwing crap at your car and start doing some analysis. From all your posts combined, the only code you have reported has been a MAF code - and you have said your fuel economy is dramatically reduced.

First rule, don't mess with the Stealer. You have a 11 year old diesel. The mechanics who understood this car long ago left VW. If you're a diesel mechanic at VW, you probably don't know much about these old cars. The new ones are radically different (have been under the hood of a newer Jetta, holy crap there is a ton of stuff in there).

Maybe the MAF code is right. What is the maf actually saying about the specified and measured airflow? Perhaps there is something blocking your intake and you are not getting enough air and the MAF is accurately reporting its problem. That would be consistent with a major fuel economy dropoff. And, just a personal aside, if my fuel economy dropped from 34/44 to 26, it would never even cross my mind to say my car is running too well - you may be getting power but you are burning way too much fuel, it is not running well - probably smoking like crazy too. You need some actual data. What is the act/spec MAF, turbo boost etc...

I would expect if the exhaust was blocked, you would have other codes beyond a MAF code.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    audi1z likes this.
  8. spectre

spectre Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    The code I keep getting is p0101 and it gives me 4 probable causes 1 faulty maf sensor ,2 no voltage to the maf sensor, 3 no voltage from the sensor,4short or open in the wireing. I replaced the maf sensor . I checked the voltage going in to the sensor 12 volts,i was unable to check the output voltage because there is not a place to put a meter lead on the maf connecter. The lead mechanic at the dealer who is from Europe told me he checked the wireing. The dealer gave me paperwork showing the results of an air mass test they did with their diagnostic equipment it failed here is what it printed out The values of charge air pressure or barometric pressure [baro] are not ok. 1 Charge air pressure sensor -G31- 2193 .o mbar, 2 Barometric pressure sensor -F96- 969.o mbar The tolerance of 50 mbar was exceeded and is 1224 mbar, the value for the barometric sensor-F96- 969.0 mbar did deviate more than + OR - 50 mbar from the value using VAG 1397A turbocharger tester the test shows that the barometric pressure sensor-F96-is faulty and it is part of the ecm and cannot be rep[laced individually you must replace the ecm. .What I meant about the car running well is that it has plenty of power ant the pickup is about what it was when I bought it new also the cel is on all the time I did replace the G 31 sensor no help so my next thing is to send the ecm to a company in Illinois to test and repair it if they can. I keep this car as I have sunk so much into it I just hope this is the last I have owned 3 other vws 2 bugs and a bus they were great after this I will never buy another vw.

9. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    Standard barometric pressure on sea level is 1013 mbar, going up and down with Highs and Lows. With increasing altitude, it decreases. 1224 mbar atmospheric pressure is physically impossible.

10. spectre

spectre Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    Just to add other problems I have had with my 2006 jetta tdi replaced the anti shudder valve, radiator, dual mass fly wheel clutch, alternator air cond compressor, rear wheel bearings, central door lock module, passenger side master door lock, overhead courtesy lite switch and, upper rear brake lite, and now the headliner is coming down I hope that when I get the xcel lit problem fixed that I can get 100k miles out of it.

11. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    Sorry to say, but "..You need to stop just throwing crap at your car and start doing some analysis....".
    What about applying a diagnostic tool like VCDS?

12. spectre

spectre Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    The readings that they gave me were generated using a VAG 1397A turbo tester that the dealer has and all I did was put the figures that I was given from the printout they gave me.as I said I have lost all faith in dealers and the diagnostic tests they do, but here where I am at it is almost if not impossible to find reputable mechanics .I think this test was done with the engine running because when I use my obd at home the manifold pressure drops to 15 in hg and when you speed up the engine it rises as rpm increases as a 45 year aircraft mechanic I am more used to working with barometric pressure measured in inches of mercury 29.92 sea level I just don't know what more I can do the egr cooler was leaking but I was told that would fix the maf problem and the cam was bad 2 lifter were holed and the car had poor power I changed the cam and lifters, the maf sensor, the G31 valve myself. and I have not found any restrictions in the air intake system and unless somebody can tell me something else I am going to send the ecm out to be tested.

13. audi1z

audi1z Member

Car:
    Audi 80 1Z Engine
    Which is normal with the engine running under load. The ambient pressure stays, and the charge pressure increases along the engine conditions.
    With ignition on, both values should be similar, showing ambient pressure with some tolerance (around 1013 mbar at sea level according to atmospheric conditions).
    May be that F96 is some 20 mbars too low, but the test you refer to shows nothing.
    Code 0101 points to the MAF sensor. With a diagnostic tool and some adaptation of diagnosis experience you could encircle the real problem.

14. spectre

spectre Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    I replaced the MAF sensor but my question is I was getting great mileage until the CEL light came on and it started running poorly found cam and lifters bad replaced both car ran great again performance wise. I reinstalled the original MAF sensor thinking the cam was the cause of the CEL This test was done by the dealer they also did testing with their diagnostic equipment but have never given me a copy of it even though I have asked. I have talked to the manager about this and told them I thought that they were parts changers until they got the right one and was told that the diagnostics would not always give them the right answer I am going back and try and get the copies of the test. I hate to think I am going to have to pay another $ 160.00 for another test. There is a company SIA Electronics that will test the ECM for $90.00 or sell me a reconditioned one for $179.00 with a 3 yr warranty. I'm unsure of which way to go.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2017
  15. terpsgeorgia

terpsgeorgia Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    I am confused by the last post.

Your car was running fine after the cam/lifters and you put the original MAF sensor back in. Then it started to perform badly. Did you put the "new" MAF sensor back in after the engine started to perform poorly? I am not questioning you, I am just trying to understand the sequence of events here.

Thanks

16. spectre

spectre Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    I put the original maf sensor back in after changing it and it did not put the cel lite out the car at this point was running well power wise. except the mpg had dropped and it did that once the cel lite came on the first time so I decided to take it for a diagnostic check and the dealer was the cheapest. But on the way to the dealer the car started to run very poorly I do not think it was In limp mode but it was running very rough and low power but it would get up to 60 -75 mph slowly and run smooth and then after changing the cam and lifters it ran normal except the mileage was low. Then trying to get the cel out and the and the mileage up all of the other items were done and parts changed the lite is still on so they did a test using a VAG 1397 turbo tester and it showed the f 96 sensor in the computer was faulty. I was shocked that the dealer did not charge me for this test and when I told them I was going to send the ecm out to be checked the supervisor came to my house and removed it for me free of charge and he said he would put it back in for me when I get it back,i sent it out last fri to SIA in Illinois to be ckd $ 89.00 they said it would be in their shop for 5 days and it would cost no more than a reman they sell for $179.00 with a 3 yr warranty. I asked the VW dealer for copies of the diagnostic tests they have done and was told it is against company rules to give them out I told them I paid for it and was told they could not do anything about it, so as of now I am stuck but as soon as I get the report on the ecm and the unit back I hope they find something wrong with it and it cures the problems I don't want to put it back in and still have the same thing. I will send out a msg when I get it back and put it back in, I have never before had any thing drive me this crazy ever.