BEW-specific head removal question

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by AKcruiserfreaK, Oct 15, 2017.

1. AKcruiserfreaK

AKcruiserfreaK New Member

Car:
    VW, New Beetle, 2005
    Mods:
    EGR cooler and valve delete
    Hi all,
    I'm in the process of removing the head off of my 2005 VW Beetle and have a few questions.
    1) Do I need to to pull the cam?
    2) Does the inner timing cover need to come off to remove the head?
    3) Do I need to do anything with a fuel pump timing-wise if the cam has to come off?

The car has a bad headgasket and just had its timing belt and water pump replaced 1,000 miles ago. The cam looks good, the car ran great with the exception of pressurizing the coolant system. I really don't want to tear into anything I don't have to and REALLY don't want to lose timing. Not much BEW-specific writeups out there for head removal.

Thanks
    TK

2. Peca

Peca Member

Car:
    Passat b6, 2007, 103 KW
    You can remove your head without removing camshaft, but you need to remove a camshaft sprocket in order to lose inner timing cover bolts, also need to remove timing belt tensioner but yust be careful not to break inner timing cover. You need to disassemble engine head to straighten it. I did not understand is it a PD or HP fuel pump engine?

3. AKcruiserfreaK

AKcruiserfreaK New Member

Car:
    VW, New Beetle, 2005
    Mods:
    EGR cooler and valve delete
    Okay, After not enough thought, I pulled the head and (of course) just managed to snap the inner timing cover on one of the ears of the camshaft. I guess I get to order a inner timing cover to the list of parts...aarrgg!

Thanks for the reply Peca, It is a PD motor. Hopefully I didn't ad a bunch of time to the job by breaking the cover. I should have just pulled the cam.

TK