Best scan tool for 2008 Golf 1.9 TDI

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by oldval225, Dec 27, 2017.

1. oldval225

oldval225 Member

Car:
    Golf 2008 1.9 tdi
    Hi all,
    Merry Christmas and happy new year to one and all.
    Hoping for suggestions and advice please - I have an on-going problem with my beloved Golf 1.9 tdi. It de-rates (only revs half of normal) every now and again. It's most annoying and I've done the obvious, like changing the fuel filter. It now has the 'check engine' light illuminated. Starts fine, no obvious problems, but has lost power and is not pleasant to drive at half power. No VW dealers in my area and I would like to diagnose the problem myself if possible. First thing I need is a scanning tool I think. Suggestions on what I should consider purchasing? Bear in mind, I live in rural Australia and will have to rely on internet purchasing and postal delivery. Thanks in advance.

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    There is only one DIY scanner for VAG vehicles a genuine VCDS.

I don't like saying this but you can get cheap Chinese cloned cables on fleabay but they can give false results. Some forums class these as banned subjects. If you bought a genuine old or new cable and you registered is with Ross-Tech then you could join the Ross-Tech forum.

There are loads of cheap generic EODB II scanners on the market from £7.50 but these give bad results.

If you live in Australia please add that to your Location? ;)

oldval225 likes this.
  3. gt4494

gt4494 Active Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    What he said.
    :+1

4. oldval225

oldval225 Member

Car:
    Golf 2008 1.9 tdi
    Thanks for the advice Keithuk. I have looked at this option, but being a 'mac' person, I would prefer to avoid having to purchase a windows based laptop in order to use this scanning tool. Sorry - I know it sounds petty, but....
    Of the options I'm looking at, this one is for sale via fleabay here in Aus: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Autel-M...919933?hash=item3d0a8b81bd:g:i6IAAOSw7FRWXWhk
    I realise it's a made in China tool, but will it do what I need it to - scan for errors, identify and clear?
    I have too many vehicles - all different makes/models and can no longer afford to keep purchasing specific tools (metal and electronic types) for them. Time to cut my losses and sell a few toys I think....but I love the Golf and will be thinking long and hard about parting with it...

5. gt4494

gt4494 Active Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    Looking at the write it seems good BUT... If you are an Apple kind of guy it states that it prints to a PC (#11) and has a CD and a micro SD (section 2 #1,2) card. Not being a an Apple kind of guy does your Apple have that capability and I wonder if the items are required? Is it Apple compatible?

6. oldval225

oldval225 Member

Car:
    Golf 2008 1.9 tdi
    Thanks for your reply gt.
    I'm not sure about the printing feature or even if I need it. Good point though, in regard to it being Mac compatible. I'll contact the seller and ask a few questions before committing to the purchase. At the end of the day, I only need something to scan, identify faults and permit me to clear any errors. Hopefully this too will work. CD and micro SD card are not a problem...

7. gt4494

gt4494 Active Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    anytime oldval, As I have matured (aged) i've learned to pay a lot more attention to the fine print.

Sounds like the tool will do most of what you will need but if you can afford it the Vag-Com is the best in town.

Cheers

oldval225 likes this.