Aux heater draining battery very quickly

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Dan Hribar, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Dan Hribar

Dan Hribar New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    stock
    06 Jetta TDI.
    I was get an error on the VCDS that my AUX heater was defective. Also it was clearly not working at all (no heat). I read how the resistors can be re-soldered so on Saturday I gave it a try. I re installed the Aux heater and checked with the VCDS and no Aux heater faults! After using the car a few days it still didn't really seem like it was putting out any heat so I went to the aux heater module in VCDS and clicked on "output test" under advanced values. The heater turned on and was putting out good heat! The next morning the battery was stone dead! I disconnected the battery and hooked a charger up. When I got home from work I plugged VCDS back in checked for faults and did another output test and couldn't find anything wrong but this morning the car was dead again!
    I drove the car for 2 days after attempting to re-solder the resistors on the Aux heater with no battery drainage issues but after I attempted to do the output test in the VCDS the battery drained quickly and 100% overnight. I'm pretty sure I screwed something up when I attempted to do the output test and its just leaving the aux heater on all the time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. Dan Hribar

Dan Hribar New Member

Car:
    06 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    stock
    Update. I pulled the AUX heater partially out and re-connected the battery. With the engine not running and the key not even in the ignition the Aux heater instantly got hot! That's what was draining my battery but I'm not sure why. Maybe something got screwed up when I tried to re-solder the resistors. Anyway I got the Aux heater disconnected now.