Audible beeping while driving, but no lights?

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by raenglehart, Mar 1, 2016.

1. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    1997 B4 Passat TDI 5 spd manual
    Driving this morning and all is well. I get an audible beeping tone (3-4 beeps I think it was). I get no warning/caution lights in the dash, gauges are all normal, car is running normal. It only happened once. It was pretty loud. Since it caught me off guard, I couldn't quite tell where it came from. Anyone know what that is? 97 B4 Passat TDI 5 spd (U.S. model).

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Start with error codes, you posted the other day about the new car?

If it's running normal, sounds like it can wait.

3. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    Waiting on my KII-HEX cable from Ross Tech as we speak.:thumbsup

4. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Does it have a "frost warning"?

Did you check the manual?

5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    lol... no... b5 have silly crap like that...

only buzzers i know of is oil pressure or door open/lights on/seatbelt

6. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    Hasn't happened again to date. Manual states nothing that I can find. On another note, my Ross-Tech cable arrived but seemed to be bad. Working with their tech support, they are sending me another unit after it failed to be recognized on 2 different computers after everything they had me try to do. Good group those guys. There are 2 known noises I get for warnings, 1-key in ignition, 2-headlight switch left on and what I heard was completely different than that. Maybe when I get my VAG-COM working correctly, it'll show something.

Standby for update.

7. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Could be a relay buzzing (bad).

8. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    Well, I received the 2nd cable from Ross Tech as the first was defective. They were great about diagnosing and in the end rushing me another cable. But to answer this thread, once I got the cable/software working, I ran all checks and no codes to explain that warning beep tone I heard a couple weeks ago. It hasn't happened since, so who knows. I thought maybe it was for the passenger seat seat belt not being fastened when my dog was sitting in the seat at the time, but I haven't been able to duplicate it. I guess I'll cross that bridge if/when it pops up again. I was able to reset my Airbag and ABS lights. They were on since I bought the car, so will have to monitor and see if they return.

Appreciate all the advice and ideas.

9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  10. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
  11. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    Forgot about this thread. Just to update and close it I guess. The issue has never returned. Car has plenty of other issues keeping me busy though unfortunately.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

12. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    Re-opening this one I reckon.

I've tested all known warning tones for this car that I know of:
    - lights left on - check good (not the same sound as the mystery sound)
    - key left in ignition - check good (not the same sound as the mystery sound)
    - seat belt warning - check good (not the same sound as the mystery sound)

This week I have had this solid tone happen on 2 different occasions. Same as before though, No codes, no dash lights, car running fine. Now I feel like it's taunting me......lol.:dunno

13. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    oil light work when you turn key on but not running?

14. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    Yup, all dash lights function normally either when key turned on & not running or I even went as far as inducing each light to come on as well to test. This alarm signal is more of an annoyance now than anything as it happens so infrequently. Just thought I'd throw the problem out there to see if any more experienced B4 owners would know.

15. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    unplug the oil switch at the oil filter then go for a drive... does it then make same buzz?

16. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    Yup, that did it. Disco'd the oil pressure switch and drove maybe 1 mile, then the beeping chime started. Stopped the car, left engine running, reconnected oil pressure wire and chime stopped. I did notice a chaffed spot on the wire and a few wire strands broke. Going to repair that wire when I get home and see if it does the trick. Thinking that chaffed spot was touching something on rare occasions causing the chime, but maybe so quick as not long enough to illuminate the dash light and for me to catch it with my eye. On a side note, the old owner manual packet I picked up from someone happened to be missing the very page that discusses the oil light and chime.

Magnus likes this.
  17. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    should make the oil light flash with the beep...

so.. few thoughts...

those switches do fail... get right one n replace.. they have a few different ones... mixing it up can cause said issue

the oil pressure is too low... i assume its summer... and too thin a oil will do this... a nice hot day.. ac on... and worn bearings/turbo from age a oil pressure gauge is only way to know...

the circuit that does the dynamic oil pressure system has failed.. and nothing you do will fix.... except replacing it.. id assume its inside the instrument cluster...i think a tdi is this... 1.8bar/18psi at 2200rpm.. if less then this.. oil light comes on... this where right switch counts

me myself.. id check oil pressure now... not later... if it checks out.. replace oil switch with a new one of proper pressure.. a gasser switch is the wrong one.. tdi has lower oil pressure then gas car.. and are like 1.8bar vs 2.2 bar.. and that .4 bar is massive in the warm oil situation.. once old one removed.. the bottom side of switch will give a bar scale cast into it for what it is if stock.. think should be blue in color.. but not positive..

stock vw switch colors...

brown... 0.2bar.. like start no oil light on..
    blue... think 1.8bar
    white.. 2.2 bar.. old gasser.. this will kick light on once warm.. and part stores like to sell
    grey.. not positive but 1.8t uses.. and old old 1.6 idi turbo diesel
    black..again not sure..

each one has a different bar pressure

there is 2 switches.. dont mix them up.. one is the no oil pressure when stated. the other is 2200rpm switch..

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Magnus likes this.
  18. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    Copy all. I appreciate the info. And yes, you are very much correct with Auto parts places selling parts that don't fit. I've had to return several thing to Rock Auto or call them to inform of listing errors on several occasions. EGR valve, PS pump, some of the cooling components, just to name a few. All they say is their info comes from the supplier and they'll check into it. I don't think any have been updated yet when I last checked .

Agan, thanks for all the info. I'll certainly get on it tonight or tomorrow.

19. raenglehart

raenglehart Member

Car:
    Despite the 100° day, I couldn't wait for cooler evening time, so I went on doing as suggested. Oil pressure was good considering 235k miles. Not even close to the point to trigger a light/chime warning. Switch tested good, however I'm guessing from the last time the chaffed spot hit, blew the bulb. It was working this morning and now not. So, fixed that first (had to steal the bulb from the seatbelt light since I didn't have any of those type bulbs in my stash). Just something else for me to have an excuse to add to the scrounge of spare parts.....lol. Fixed wire, bulb working again. Oil level was maybe 1/2 qt low, so topped it up, took it for a 40 miles round-trip mixing some interstate 80+ mph in there and all is well. What are the chances of my manual missing the page that talks about the oil pressure chime?

20. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    never seen a "led" not bulb, fail... i assume the actual pcb to have failed... for the dynamic op system.. why it buzzed with no light