Audi A4 2.0 TDI CAGC, tensioner stud

Discussion in 'Audi TDI forums' started by Khaotic86, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Khaotic86

Khaotic86 New Member

Car:
    Audi A4 2,0TDI -09
    Hi!

About to do a timing belt change on a Audi A4 2.0 TDI (CAGC engine) but I've gotten somewhat un-nerved after reading up.
    Im not worried about setting timing or generally changing a timing belt as I have done plenty previously but never on this type of engine where alot of failiures has occured due to tensioner stud and/or nut failing.
    As this will now the second timing belt change, I plan to replace the stud also but perhaps Im just beeing paranoid or whatever but here's where I would like some input.
    As per ElsaWin instructions, the stud is torqued to 15Nm and nut is 25Nm+45 degrees.

1. From what I have gathered it seems that general oppinion say this is to tight and 20-25 degree turn is sufficient, however I would assume that it will be to tight with a "used" stud but as you replace the stud, would you recommend the full 45 degree turn on the nut?

2. Alltough 15Nm isnt alot, and I may be overthinking this, but I do not have a studsocket to torque this with leaving me with two options.
    Either I do a 2-nut tightened together method, but Im afraid of stressing the threads already here when jamming the nuts together as it will need alot of torque to lock them to the stud?
    Or I use a end cap nut to torque it which should put alot less stress on the threads, but could leave me unable to release this nut without backing the stud out again?

Any advise?

Thanks

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    A4 2.0D TDI CR 2007-11 Engine code: CAGA, CAGB, CAGC, CAHA, CAHB

Tighten tensioner pulley nut - Tightening torque: 20 Nm + 45° (15 lbs/ft + 45°)

TDI Timing Belts App

3. aoleks

aoleks New Member

Car:
    Audi A4 B8 2008 2.0 TDI CR
    as long as you use a new stud, leave the thinking over to the engineers, I'm sure they did their maths properly. it's 20Nm + 45 deg btw...