Audi A3 tappety noise

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by Davidwebster84, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Davidwebster84

Davidwebster84 New Member

Car:
    Audi A3 1.9 tdi
    Hi I'm just new to the forum so I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. I'm currently working on a 2007 Audi A3 1.9 tdi 8 valve. When the car starts up and idles it sounds fine. As soon as the throttle is applied there is a noise that sounds like it could be coming from the camshaft/lifters. I have absolutely no background on this car as it came to the motor traders I help out and was left for us to deal with. I have removed the rocker cover and checked for anything obviously untoward. As expected I can't see anything even after turning the engine by hand. I had read somewhere that someone developed the same issue just after the cam belt was changed. People suggested perhaps the the timing was out slightly. So far I don't know the outcome of that issue. I don't want to just dive in feet first and start replacing lifters if this is possibly fixed easily. Apologies for such a long post. Hope to hear from someone soon.
    Regards
    Davy

login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Hey up, fellow Scotsman here lol

The timing is simple to check, needs hooked up to the computer, vcds. You can check what's called the torsion value, that's the cam timing.
    If it's to advanced the engine will sound pretty tappety knocky.

Other one could be cam wear.

Check the diy pages, just look at the bew engine faq, it's a pd and covers what you need to know.

3. Davidwebster84

Car:
    Audi A3 1.9 tdi
    Thanks for the reply seatman. Also good to hear you are a Scotsman too. Unfortunately I don't have access to any diagnostics. From what I could see of the lifters they didn't look excessively worn. The camshaft looked fine as well. That doesn't mean 100 percent that they are ok though. I saw lifters form an engine that had covered 70k and they were wrecked. This engine has 144k so it's a possibility. I'd like to get it hooked up to a diagnostic reader just to check the timing. First things first, oil and filter change and see how it goes, not that I usually have luck like that.
    Cheers
    Davy

4. Davidwebster84

Car:
    Audi A3 1.9 tdi
    As I suspected oil and filter never made any difference. Need to dig a bit further. Someone I work with has mentioned big ends a couple of times. I'm skeptical of them being worn but I'll pop the sump off and check them. Then I'll get the camshaft off and check the lifters.

5. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    I'd get hold of someone with vagcom/vcds and get the timing checked, to advanced makes a racket.

Big ends is more of a knock, cam tends to be tappety but usually provides other symptoms.

Most reasonable garages have a suitable scan tool to check the timing too

6. Davidwebster84

Car:
    Audi A3 1.9 tdi
    That sounds like the best option. I think I'll do that for piece of mind. Particularly since the belt looks so new. I would have thought timing being out would have had other effects as well. Perhaps excessive smoke being too advanced. Other than a nasty noise the car runs perfect.

7. Seatman

Car:
    Mods:
    Nah quite often it's just noisy, slight difference in power but nothing obvious unless you'd known the car well previously and paid attention.