Are your headrests turning you into a hunchback too? What to swap them with?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by 2011tdiproject, Jan 19, 2014.

1. samskara

samskara New Member

Car:
    2014 JettaSportswagon
    Mods:
    none
    I have the same problem with my 2014 Jetta SW and its driving me crazy. Yes, to those who've reclined their seat to improve their comfort. I came to the VW from Toyota, who offered an articulating headrest. If the VW form is supposed to prevent whiplash that's great, but I may have a cervical neck herniation before I have any collisions. I think VW should go back to the ergonomic drawing board, and articulate the headrest while maintaining the whiplash safety feature.
    Saving that, does ANYONE have an after factory site for an articulating head rest? I'm not happy to spend the money, but I will to obtain improved comfort.

2. jdoubleh

jdoubleh New Member

Car:
    B5 Passat, '13 JSW TDI, GTI Wolfsburg
    Its the same in my '13 GTI Wolfsburg (Interlagos plaid fabric interior). I also have a '00 B5 Passat which has the angle adjustable headrests. I can confirm they fit the GTI, as I just tried it a few minutes ago. This might mean the same revision A4 headrests fit as well. I would suspect multiple models and years fit, as VWAG is all about sharing parts across models and badges. Now I just need to find an extra set and an upholsterer who will cover them in the suitable black fabric with red stitching...

Edit: I can also confirm the rear headrests in the GTI fit as well, but it's pointless because the're even worse.

3. SixSpeedTDI

SixSpeedTDI New Member

Car:
    2011 JSW TDI
    Isn't the proper term "head restraints" as they are for safety and not necessarily comfort?

4. Face

Face New Member

Car:
    2012 JSW TDi
    A "restraint" shouldn't be forcing poor posture either.

5. samskara

samskara New Member

Car:
    2014 JettaSportswagon
    Mods:
    none
    Its not safe if you're uncomfortable. I won't go into Ergonomics 202 here, but being uncomfortable driving is not defensible in my book.

6. Asterix

Asterix New Member

Car:
    VW Golf Mk 6 Convertible R
    No offence meant, but excellent double entendre

7. Notabiker

Notabiker New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta 6m tdi
    Mods:
    Frostheater so far
    How did the stalks come out of the old headrest and into the new ones? Did you have to cut the fabric and resew it together?

8. Kingofbattle

Kingofbattle New Member

Car:
    2013 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI
    I swapped out the headrests in my wife's Sportwagen with beetle rear seat headrests. I needed no modifications. I snagged the headrests from a junkyard on eBay who claimed they were 98-05 beetle rears.

9. sportriderseattle

sportriderseattle Member

Car:
    '10 TDI Golf 2dr
    Mods:
    Votex Sport Styling Kit, stainless exhaust tips an
    I've always been bewildered by the design of headrests in cars. nearly all cars are adjustable up and down but not fore and aft. I had a Toyota Supra and now an Audi A3 that move up/down/fore/aft and always thought...Doh! ... another stupid engineer (there's a lot out there) who engineered VW headrests. Really the most important part of a headrest is not the height, but how far it is from the occupants head to prevent/minimize injury when the head/neck does the whipping motion. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

10. WDavies

WDavies New Member

Car:
    Vw, Jetta 2011, TDI 6speed
    Mods:
    Led lighting, aftermarket rims, window tint
    Take the stock ones out and turn them around

11. xeno555

xeno555 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Tech Package 6mt
    Mods:
    Malone Stage II. Rawtek 3" from Turbo to Tail. Slammed on Koni. TSW Nurmburg Rims. Whiteline Sway & Ends. Panzer Plate.
    Touareg have adjustable "depth" to the head rests.

12. Jenska

Jenska New Member

Car:
    2013 Jetta sportwagen
    I just got a 2013 Sport wagon and its the first car I've had that's been so uncomfortable for my neck. I'll see if the Beetle rears work if I can find some, but the driver restraint seems to be locked in, there's only the adjusting button, which doesn't completely release it.