Are your headrests turning you into a hunchback too? What to swap them with?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by 2011tdiproject, Jan 19, 2014.

1. 2011tdiproject

2011tdiproject Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 2dr
    I'm just wondering if any of you have swapped out your mk6 headrests, or if any of the other VW headrests fit the mk6 seats and are more comfortable.

The design of the mk6 headrests is unbelieveably bad. They should be a few inches back from where they are. It is impossible to have anything like correct sitting posture with their design. They force your head forward from where it would naturally sit. They must be using some F'd up crash test dummies if they think this is "safer", you could move it back 2" and my head would still lean against it the whole time, no gap for whiplash.

Anyone know what I can swap them with? Are the headrests the same in all the mk6 golf/gti/jetta/etc?

2. racewalker

racewalker New Member

Car:
    2013 jetta tdi
    My Jetta was just rear ended at about 50Km I am quit happy the head rest was as close as it was. No whiplash!

mrcowden likes this.
  3. MnTom

MnTom Member

Car:
    2-2006 Jettas (Kid's cars), 2012 Jetta Sportwagon
    My wife complained about the same thing on her '12 JSW. I tried switching the fronts with the rears, but that doesn't work. I guess she just got used to them and doesn't have the seat back quite as straight up and down anymore.

4. 2011tdiproject

2011tdiproject Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 2dr
    Racewalker, I'm sure you appreciate the lack of whiplash these headrests provided you in your collision, but they don't need to hold your head so far forward to do their job. All they need to do is have a minimal or non existent gap behind the back of your head when you're sitting in a halfway decent posture. As they are now, they make that halfway decent posture impossible to achieve. They put you into a hunchback posture, head jutted so far forward it would make a chiropractor cringe. I am not an abnormal body type, just a slim 6' tall. I could hardly even stand up straight after my last drive from south dakota to denver. These seats hurt my upper back/neck like being dropped on my head in jiu jitsu class.

I also tried switching in a rear headrest, not much better, and the slots in the 2 little shafts don't match, so the headrest is not positively retained, it slides up and down freely.

Someone, please tell me how to fix this! haha. If not, I'll figure it out myself, no big deal.

5. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    Not sure what to tell you really; when I first got the car I felt like they were a bit too far forward as well, but it was never as bad to me as you describe. I simply raised the headrest on the driver's side up 3 or 4 clicks and it created enough extra clearance to be perfectly comfortable for me.

It is still in a position to provide plenty of support in a crash, but it adds just enough extra room that I'm fine now. For reference i am 6 feet as well; though not quite so slim any more... ;)

mrcowden likes this.
  6. ticketed2much

ticketed2much New Member

Car:
    JSW TDI
    I got some Beetle headrests, tore apart the oem ones, and added the oem stalks to the Beetle headrests. Works well, sits back 2-3 inches more than the oem ones, and has an adjustable tilt. They match well, but not exact. Before I did this I tilted the seat back quite a bit which made the oem rests a bit more bearable.

[​IMG]

7. 2011tdiproject

2011tdiproject Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 2dr
    Nice! I knew someone had done something with this!

8. 2011GolfTDI

2011GolfTDI Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI DSG
    I think what you need to acknowledge is that there is substantial variability in human anatomy. I'm 6-2 and have no issue with the position of the headrests. When I'm in my normal driving posture, my head doesn't even contact the headrest. I recently logged 5+ hours in the saddle and found my seats to be entirely comfortable.

9. 2011tdiproject

2011tdiproject Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 2dr
    People trying to "outvote me" that the seats are comfortable with the headrests is not why I started this thread.

10. MnTom

MnTom Member

Car:
    2-2006 Jettas (Kid's cars), 2012 Jetta Sportwagon
    Seems like the position of the seat back has a bunch to do with it. My wife likes it straight up and down and that is when the headrest is 'not as comfortable'. I don't have a problem with it,but I lean the seat back a bit.

11. 2011GolfTDI

2011GolfTDI Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI DSG
    I don't think anyone is trying to "outvote" you. Rather, I think folks are just giving you some perspective regarding seat/headrest comfort. I suspect most don't find it to be an issue, which is why the feedback to your complaint might be sparse.

12. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    2011GolfTDI is right I think; we aren't trying to tell you "you are wrong" but more like "we don't experience that, sorry"... I hope the Beetle headrests or something else works for you but I just don't find it to be an issue so I never looked for a solution.

13. 2011tdiproject

2011tdiproject Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 2dr
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snide or whatever, to convey annoyance, but to me it's like, "okay, if they're comfortable for you, that's fine, but why would you tell me that, when I'm asking about changing them?" Lol. My first sentence of this thread was "I'm just wondering if any of you have swapped out your mk6 headrests, or if any of the other VW headrests fit the mk6 seats and are more comfortable."

Where I'm at right now is leaning against a piece of foam on the seat back. Kinda ghetto, but I haven't gotten around to doing anything else with it yet.

14. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    The GTI headrests should fit as well and they do not lean forward anywhere near as far.

dragonabsurdum likes this.
  15. phat-dub

phat-dub New Member

Car:
    vw
    The Mk4's and and early beetle headrest fit our mk6 cars. i just put my leather flat top beetles in mine.
    there is no need to tear anything apart to change the head rest.

16. 2011tdiproject

2011tdiproject Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI 2dr
    I finally just ended up cutting and welding the oem bars at a different angle, basically making the headrests parallel with the seats. The top of my head is about level with the top of the headrests as they are in the pic, so the center of the headrest touches the center of the back of my head.
    [​IMG]

17. phat-dub

phat-dub New Member

Car:
    vw
    wondering how the beetle headrest come apart anyone?

18. dragonabsurdum

dragonabsurdum New Member

Car:
    2014 VW a Jetta
    I have the exact same problem with my Jetta headrests. The dealer said they didn't have alternates, but I'll have to ask about substituting Golf or GTI ones if they are a bit straighter. I am getting to the point of rigging some sort of foam backrest to save my neck.

19. 1texansfan1

1texansfan1 Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI SEL w DSG 2005 Jetta GLI 1.8T auto w triptronic
    In other makes of cars - I have reversed the headrest. Not sure will work for yours.

20. sawmillman

sawmillman New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta Sportwagon
    All you have to do is turn them around. You will find a small catch under the trim ring that will allow you to pull them completely out. Turn them around and enjoy the ride. Just my two cents worth