Anybody seen this article about VW being able to sell 2015 TDI diesels again

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by bigdog_mike, Mar 31, 2017.

1. bigdog_mike

bigdog_mike New Member

Car:
    audi a3 tdi 2012
    VW diesels return to showrooms
    Mar. 30, 2017 2:15 AM ET|By: Yoel Minkoff, SA News Editor
    Volkswagen (OTCPK:VLKAY) will soon do what's been impossible since its emissions crisis began: sell diesel-powered cars in the U.S.

The EPA just gave VW dealers the green light to sell 2015 model year diesels after the automaker updated the vehicles' emissions software.

It's a significant milestone in recovering from Dieselgate and rebuilding its relationship with environmental regulators.

Brettimus_Prime likes this.
    login to remove this ad
  2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II
    Mods:
    n/a
    There's an old saying: "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me."

3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Considering how strong diesel sales are in Europe, I can't help but see a trickle of a few diesel models in the future, even though the USA CEO said no more diesels.

VW's diesel sales were a sidenote in the 70s-late 90s in the US. But the mk4 and mk5/mk6 models had a lot more volume because they just brought more of them here. After dieselgate, my best guess is that they may still sell them, albeit not at the same 25% volume of all VW sales that they once did at the peak. It may return to the previous period where VW diesels were the oddballs. There will still be tons of European diesels for sale, many of which are built in Mexico, and that will affect availability of them here. Only time will tell.

4. acaff

acaff New Member

Car:
    VW Jetta Sportswagen 2012
    I hope they are able to make more diesels again. I am wondering how much the 2015 TDI models are being sold for.

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    They are being sold at discounts. Dealers now have the all-clear to sell BRAND NEW and used TDI. Discounts range from $5-8,500 depending on lease and financing options. These are "FIXED" TDI with ECU flashes applied. There's a back inventory of about 11,000 vehicles.

I just wish I had bought a used one. I know someone who bought a used TDI for 10k, sold it in the buyback for 16k!

Drago likes this.
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Active Member

Car:
    2015 Prius Four, 2014 Corolla S, 2010 Prius II
    Mods:
    n/a
    Great news! The smog issue's gone...but the mpg is lower. Good thing we didn't loose poor quality, low reliability, high maintenance and extreme costs related to consistent failures. :oops:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 5:14 AM
  7. Drago

Drago Member

Car:
    2010 jetta sport wagon
    thas me :)

8. Drago

Drago Member

Car:
    2010 jetta sport wagon
    got a truck payment now, can't myself buying one. IMHO VW killed the passenger car diesel in this country. GM with that POS Oldsmobile diesel killed people's interest in diesel cars for over thirty years