Another clutch pedal drop to the floor thread

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by cohomology, Aug 28, 2017.

1. cohomology

cohomology New Member

Car:
    vw jetta tdi 2006
    Ok, I know that there have been quite a few threads regarding this issue but I just have a few questions that were not answered yet so I think I might ask one more time

Several months ago my '06 BRM started to have a sticky clutch pedal. I had been able to pull it back with my toe and keep driving just fine until a few days ago, when no pressure could be felt at all when I push the pedal down.

Here is what I observed: brake fluid level ok; no obvious leaking from the line or either cylinder. I decided to bleed it and see what happens. Well, I just didn't see any pressure building up in the system at all no matter how hard a buddy of mine pushed the pedal! Nothing comes out in the tubing attached to the nipple, not even bubble.

So here goes my questions:

1. Does this mean my master cylinder is dead or just a lot of air in the system?
    2. Do you recommend replacing both cylinders when I'm in there?(car has 220k miles)
    3. I saw(forgot where) people say that o-rings need to be replaced every time the hydraulic system is open. But I was only able to find the o-rings at idparts. over $20 for two pieces of rubber seems very steep. Can I use some gasket maker to seal it?
    4. Will Motive Products 0100 work with my car?

Thank y'll for reading!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    1. Which master cylinder there are 2, brake and clutch.
    2 Replacing both cylinders clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder?
    3. The only O rings will be where the reservoir fits onto brake master. They haven't made master/slave cylinder repair kits for years.

Personally I would try a pressurized brake bleeder before buying new cylinders. The feed for the clutch master cylinder comes from a pipe high up the brake master cylinder reservoir, make sure it topped right up.

I know on the Mk4 Golf there is a bleed nipple on the clutch master cylinder which you can't see you have to feel for.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017